Deafblind Resources for Families
If your child has a combined vision and hearing loss, or you suspect that they do, we may be able to give you valuable information to help your child learn, communicate, play, and grow.
You may want to learn how other families with children who experience combined vision and hearing loss have helped their children to grow up to be their best. We can help you make those connections!
You may want to know about your choices when teaching your child to communicate, when selecting a school program, or when planning family activities that include everyone. We can help you discuss the options.
Free family memberships
All families who have a child registered with DB Central are now eligible for a free year of membership to The National Association for Deaf-Blind and Michigan Hands and Voices.
Read their brochures below and contact DB Central for more information on their organizations.
- National Association for Deaf-Blind Brochure - English
- National Association for Deaf-Blind Brochure - Spanish
- Michigan Hands & Voices Brochure
Are you a Teacher, Intervener, or Parent supporting someone who is deaf-blind and on the DB Central registry? You may be eligible to receive one of DB Central's mini grants for materials. Receive up to $500 per child/student! Apply for mini grants by September 15th.
State of Michigan resources
Many national organizations have Michigan affiliates or liaisons to contact locally. Contact DeafBlind Central's Director Beth Kennedy for questions for more information. Reach out to the national organization to find your Michigan representative, or email DeafBlind Central for assistance!
- Michigan Family to Family Health Information Center
- Michigan Hands & Voices
- Michigan Alliance for Families
- Michigan Department of Education - Low Incidence Outreach
- Michigan Coalition for Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing People
- Michigan Association for DeafBlind
This is the association for families across Michigan. Please contact DB Central if you are interested in joining.
- CHARGE Syndrome Foundation Michigan Parent Liaison
Email Jodie Beavers
Annual Membership Drive for the National Family Association for Deaf-Blind
The National Family Association for Deaf-Blind (NFADB) has been supporting individuals who are deaf-blind and their families for over sixteen years. Membership is open to anyone with an interest in deaf-blindness, including people who are deaf-blind, family members, friends and interested service providers and professionals. We would like to invite you to become a member! We encourage you to visit NFADB’s website for more information about the organization and about how to become a member!
- iPad Apps for Learners with Complex Additional Support Needs
- 4to24 App Available for Parents of Deaf-Blind Youth
- National Family Association for DeafBlind (NFADB)
- National Center on DeafBlindness
- Hands & Voices
- Helen Keller National Center
- Perkins School for the Blind
- Center for Parent Information and Resources
- Affordable Connectivity Program
- National Center on Education Outcomes Video Channel
- Progress Center Student Led IEPs Webinar
National resources for specific causes of deafblindness
- CHARGE Syndrome Foundation
- Down Syndrome Family Resource Center
- Usher Syndrome Coalition
Read additional information about accommodations for students with Usher Syndrome
- Cornelia de Lange Syndrome
- Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome
- Dandy-Walker Syndrome
- Stickler Syndrome
- Goldenhar Syndrome
- Patau Syndrome
- Norrie Disease
The contents of this website were developed under a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, #H326T180045. However, those contents do not necessarily represent the policy of the U.S. Department of Education, and you should not assume endorsement by the Federal Government. - Project Officer, Eric Caruso.