Recreation, Parks and Leisure Services Administration
Why choose a degree in the department of recreation, parks and leisure services?
As a student, you'll learn about the social and personal benefits of leisure, including how it reduces stress, builds self-confidence, and improves overall health and wellness. As a future professional in the recreation and leisure industry, you will have an opportunity to assist people in leading a healthy leisure lifestyle, as well as improving your client's quality of life and the community they live in. If you are interested in using your leadership skills to run programs and events for a variety of populations, manage facilities and make a difference in people’s lives, then this may be the profession for you!
One undergraduate major - three distinctive concentrations:
We do learning in action
Home to RPL's indoor climbing wall as well as a high and low ropes course.Our rock climbing wall provides limitless opportunities for individuals and groups interested in heart-stirring recreational experiences that promote fitness, boost self-esteem, and develop leadership skills.
Take part in one of the most successful college Disney Internship Programs in the countryWe have three Disney college programs: one for those currently attending CMU, for U.S. domestic students who attend other U.S. universities, and the third for international students who attend an international partner school.
Get connected with work experience in your chosen fieldThrough a range of services, the Center for Leisure Services helps you earn credit with fieldwork, internships, and practicum credit programs.
Highlights of the department
- The Recreation and Event Management Program was awarded the "Best Event Management Bachelor's Degree" by the International Festivals and Events Association.
- The Recreational Therapy Program is in the top five nationally for the number of certified therapists that have passed the NCTRC national exam. Upon graduation, students will be prepared to become a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS), with CMU alumni passing the exam at a standard consistently higher than the national average.
- The Outdoor & Environmental Recreation program offers opportunities to become nationally certified or gain skills as a Leave No Trace Trainer, American Canoe Association Canoe Touring Instructor, Wilderness First Responder, belay, and high ropes certified climber, or as a Project WILD or Project Learning Tree participant.
- You'll receive individualized advising from faculty teaching within their major that have real-world experience.
- Study abroad in New Zealand or in Southeast Europe (Serbia, Croatia, and Slovenia) on a faculty-led study abroad trip.
- The recreation and leisure industry is a significant part of the economy in all 50 states. You'll have flexibility in exploring a variety of careers.
- The RPL Department has been accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism, and Related Professions (COAPRT) for nearly four decades.
Outdoor and Environmental Recreation
Do you have a passion for the outdoors and nature? Then this is the program you are looking for!
Learn first-hand how to use recreation as a form of therapy.
Recreation and Event Management
Get hands-on experiences, like helping to run the on-campus Gus Macker Event.