Recreation and Event Management
Take advantage of the booming leisure industry
The events industry in the U.S. provides over 5.9 million jobs* and is expected to grow by 11% from 2019-2029**. With such demand for trained professionals in this field, our recreation and event management major — Michigan’s first — puts you on a fast track to success. As a student, you might work behind the scenes at a major campus concert, help organize the nation’s only student-run Gus Macker basketball tournament or land your dream job through a required internship. Employers at theme parks, parks and recreation departments, community/convention centers, festivals, and entertainment venues covet your energy and await your graduation.
*Oxford Economics and Events Industry Council, 2018
**U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
The Recreation and Event Management program (which includes the Recreation and Event Management major and Event Management minor) prepares graduates for a variety of industries. This photo montage is an example of the different types of careers available to REM graduates…and the pictures all came from actual Central Michigan University alumni!
Careers in recreation and event management
Our graduates from this program specialize in for-profit or non-profit recreation sites. Alumni work with people, manage facilities and plan events for businesses, resorts, non-profit, public agencies, entertainment, and festivals.
Our alumni are highly desired by employers and quickly advance in their careers, which is evident in the titles listed below. Click on the links to hear how the REM program at CMU launched the careers of our alumni:
- President & CEO - United Way of Gratiot & Isabella Counties - Mt. Pleasant, MI
- Senior Wedding Planner & Sales Manager - Emerald City Designs - Farmington Hills, MI
- Director of Recreational Services - University of Toledo - Toledo, OH
- Chief Operating Officer - The Parade Company - Detroit, MI
- Senior Event Manager - SAFE Management / Ford Field - Detroit, MI
- Account Manager / George P. Johnson Auburn Hills, MI
- Alumni Engagement - Central Michigan University / Mt. Pleasant, MI
- Founder & Consultant - Leave it to Me - Traverse City, MI
- Strategic Partnerships Specialist - AC Entertainment - Nashville, TN