Gain Advanced Medical Training & Clinical Experiences
Prepare for a career in primary care, hospital-based medicine and specialty fellowships with the CMU College of Medicine's Internal Medicine residency program.
We seek enthusiastic residents who want to make important contributions to the field, especially those who share our mission to expand services in Northern Michigan. Those who seek to contribute to the field in other places and in other ways will also find that our program offers outstanding training for whatever their personal mission in Internal Medicine may be.
Why Choose CMU for Internal Medicine?
As a resident, you'll train in a team-oriented, supportive environment designed to shape competent and confident physicians. You'll learn to apply your knowledge at the patient bedside to a population with diverse medical conditions, growing proficient in advanced airway skills, vascular procedures such as arterial and central venous catheterizations, cardiopulmonary resuscitation and other Internal Medicine-based procedures.
Based in Michigan's Great Lakes Bay Region, the program gives residents access to state-of-the-art classrooms, an expansive library and a
clinical simulation center in the new CMU College of Medicine educational building.
Program graduates are highly competent internists who can perform procedures, manage critical care units on their own, and work in crisis situations. Our residents match well into all types of fellowships, are aggressively recruited, and are desirable for hospitalist positions all over the country.
- 3-year program
- Fully accredited by ACGME
- Experience as hospitalists and in outpatient practices
- State-of-the-art simulated procedural training
- 87,000+ annual visits in member hospitals' emergency departments
- Clinical, academic, research and collaborate care opportunities
- 1:4 core physician to resident ratio
- Comprehensive didactic program including daily interactions and regular grand rounds for ambulatory and inpatient topics at various teaching sites, including a VA hospital
- High pass rate on American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) certifying board exam
Medical residency program fuels Saginaw-area growth
Since the program’s inception, about 200 doctors have chosen to practice in the region after graduation
June 21, 2019
The road to Match Day and beyond
College of Medicine’s first two graduating classes describe what drew them to CMU, their residency experiences and their hopes for the future.
March 13, 2019