Counseling Program Admission Requirements
Central Michigan University's CACREP-accredited counseling program offers three concentrations, Addiction, Clinical Mental Health and School Counseling.
- 2.8 GPA
- Two professional letters of reference (must be academic or professional) who can speak to potential in the counseling field and/or graduate study. Personal letters are not accepted.
- A written statement should consist of a 3-page APA (cover page does not count as 1 page) formatted essay detailing the following:
- State your career goals;
- Describe how completing an M.A. in Counseling will help you fulfill those goals.
- If you are applying to the online program describe your readiness to engage in a digital learning environment; and
- Describe your strengths and areas for growth as a graduate student.
- Initial Review: Faculty review all applications and rate applications on a rubric that rates the following:
- GPA, prior experience, quality of recommendation, quality of writing in SOP, and if SOP meets guidelines.
- Initial decision: Faculty determine if an applicant should move to interview, waitlist for an interview, or deny.
- Admission Interview: Applicants moved to interview are emailed with interview times. Applicants attend a one-hour virtual group interview that requires responding to questions, reading an article, and engaging in a non-facilitated group discussion with each applicant in the group.
- Admission Decision: Faculty either accept the application for admission, waitlist for admission, or reject.