Counseling Program Overview
Counseling concentration options
Addiction Counseling, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling
60 credits for all concentrations
All programs CACREP accredited
40% of courses live online synchronous
60% of courses are asynchronous, with live sessions required.
- Eight (8) courses face to face (16 weeks); 4:00 pm-6:50 pm or 7:00 pm -9:50 pm EST.
- Four (4) sixteen (16) week synchronous online.
- Eight (8) eight (8) week online asynchronous
Courses must be taken in a specific developmental sequence. Students receive a program plan and must follow the program plan unless the advisor gives permission to deviate.
Full-time and part-time options
Full-Time: Full-time students register for nine (9) credits per semester; Fall, Spring, and Summer (year-round). Full-time students complete the program in 2.5 years.
Part-Time: Part-time students register for six (6) credits per semester, Fall, Spring & Summer (year-round). Part-time students complete the program in 3.5 years.
- Clinical Mental Counselors are eligible for a Limited License Counselor (LLC) in Michigan and most other states.
- School Counselors are eligible for a Limited Licensed Counselor (LLC) in Michigan, a School Counselor License and/or a NT (not teacher) endorsement on a teaching certificate in Michigan.
- Addiction Counselors are eligible for a Limited Licensed Counselor (LLCP in Michigan and the Certified Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CAADC) in Michigan.
For licensure requirements in all 50 states please visit our counseling handbook and frequently asked questions page.