Join Us to Complete Your Medical Residency Training and Transform Health Care in Michigan
Medical school graduates pursuing an exceptional residency program choose Central Michigan University College of Medicine, which offers three- to five-year training for resident physicians in seven specialties.
Our residency programs are fully aligned to the mission of CMU College of Medicine and committed to serving the underserved and addressing Michigan's health care issues and challenges.
Why Choose CMU for Graduate Medical Education?
CMU offers personalized education focused on you, the resident
– often with one-on-one learner-to-faculty interaction. The high patient-to-learner ratio in Saginaw enables quality learning in a real-world setting.
Residency programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), with Podiatric Medicine and Surgery accredited by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME).
Our Training Community
- 50-year legacy, established in 1968
- Highly respected program directors and staff
- 56,000 CMU Health clinic patient visits annually
- 120,000+ emergency department visits at partner hospitals
- Two primary institutions: Covenant HealthCare and Ascension St. Mary's Hospital
- 16 affiliated hospitals/rotation sites
- Free-standing psychiatric hospital - HealthSource Saginaw
- Large outpatient Veterans Affairs facility
Residents love the beautiful
Great Lakes Bay Region of Michigan for its abundance of lakes and rivers, lush foliage and centralized location. A residency through the CMU College of Medicine also offers:
- An intimate, friendly faculty and resident culture
- Health care hub featuring ambulatory and hospital
- Medium-sized city within a friendly community
- Low cost of living and ample housing with an easy commute
- Vibrant local attractions and outdoor activities
As a resident, you'll experience hands-on patient care through our
Covenant HealthCare Simulation Center, a state-of-the-art facility of more than 10,000 square feet. Residency programs have monthly simulation sessions with standardized patients, high-fidelity simulation and numerous procedural models.
Equipped with virtual OR, OB, ICU, ED and pediatric environments, the simulation center offers high-quality training programs that improve the safety and care of patients in the Great Lakes Bay Region.
Medical residency program fuels Saginaw-area growth
Since the program’s inception, about 200 doctors have chosen to practice in the region after graduation
June 21, 2019
CMU College of Medicine to expand residency program
Legislature OKs plan by four Michigan medical schools to expand primary care residency programs through loan forgiveness.
March 20, 2019
The road to Match Day and beyond
College of Medicine’s first two graduating classes describe what drew them to CMU, their residency experiences and their hopes for the future.
March 13, 2019