If you've ever put together a party, you know even a small one has a lot of moving parts. Now imagine what it takes to plan a wedding, conference or corporate retreat, and you'll understand why good event planners are in such demand. Central Michigan University's event management minor will help you thrive in any setting.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
If you're going to bring an event from concept to wow, you need more than a great idea. You have to know how to handle a budget. You need impeccable organizational skills. You'll work with marketing teams, contractors, speakers, and others who will bring your vision to life.
Our event management minor can teach you to do all that and more. This interdisciplinary minor complements many majors, which makes you more marketable. By the time you graduate, you'll be ready to plan activities ranging in scope from intimate gatherings to multi-day events in the U.S. and abroad. You'll find event planners at work in a range of industries, including business, education, and government.
You'll get hands-on experience in this minor, which is part of our award-winning Recreation and Event Management program. Your classes will cover topics such as catering, lodging, tourism, public relations, and graphic design.
As a student in the event management program, you will:
- Work with an organization to plan and produce a live event as part of your minor.
- Study with faculty members who have professional event-planning experience.
- Network with industry leaders when you join the Association of Recreation and Event Professionals.
- Be involved with a program identified as the best events management bachelor’s degree in 2019 by the International Festivals and Event Association.
- Be part of a program accredited by the Council of Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions (COAPRT).
Careers & Outcomes
Event managers are in demand for a wide range of work, and CMU grads are found in industries such as special events, entertainment, hospitality, and more.
|Meeting, Convention, and Event Planner||$49,470|