Online Master of Science in Engineering Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that pursuing an advanced degree is a significant decision, and you may have several inquiries about our program. In this comprehensive resource, we aim to provide you with answers to the most common questions prospective students like you often ask.

What degree will I earn through the Online Master's in Engineering program?

You will receive the same credentials as our on-campus students. In other words, you will earn a Master of Science in Engineering degree from Central Michigan University.

Do I have to be a full-time student?

No. You can complete the courses as a part-time student depending on your needs and availability unless you are an international student seeking a visa.

Can I be involved in research as on Online Master's in Engineering student?

This is a course-based master's degree and does not include a thesis submission as part of the degree requirements. The required (EGR 600, 601, and 685) courses will provide you with a research experience. even though it is optional, you can take additional research-based courses such as EGR 637 Directed Research in Engineering and EGR 697 Special Topics in Engineering that will give you the opportunity to explore topics that are relevant to your career goals under the supervision of our research-active faculty. the projects may be tailored to fit into your current job/employer's area of interest or to provide you with the skills and knowledge you would like to acquire for your current or next career.

Can I use the same resources as the residential (on-campus) students?

Yes, you will have access to all course-related resources that are provided to our on-campus students and some other remote resources such as online access to CMU's library and software that is installed on the lab computers in the Engineering and Technology building via our virtual lab partner.

Am I eligible for scholarships as on Online Master's in Engineering student?

This is a self-funded program; therefore, you are not eligible for the scholarships that may be granted to students who are part of our research-based plan. You may, however, be eligible for Federal Financial Aid based on its specific eligibility requirements.

How do I apply?

Applications to all three MSE program options[Plan A (on-campus); Plan B (on-campus); and Plan B (HyFlex/Online)] are done by selecting the "Mount Pleasant Campus" option in the application portal.

Students who are admitted to the degree program will work with their academic advisor or the MSE Committee Chair to formally select the option of their choice in the university's student advising platform.

Once you have submitted your application, please email us at to inform us which option you would like to pursue.

For more information

To learn more about the MSE program at CMU please contact us at 989-774-3033 or by email at