Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Central Michigan University College of Science and Engineering values and respects Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. We strive to implement thoughtful, practical, iterative and innovative strategies that serve to support the needs of CSE’s broad community of faculty, students, staff and alumni.
Diversity is the range of human differences, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, social class, physical ability or attributes, religious or ethical values system, national origin, and political beliefs.
Equity is the absence of avoidable or remediable differences among groups of people, whether those groups are defined socially, economically, demographically or geographically.
Inclusion is involvement and empowerment, where the inherent worth and dignity of all people are recognized. An inclusive university promotes and sustains a sense of belonging; it values and practices respect for the talents, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of living of its members.
- Explore the needs of the faculty, staff and students regarding DEI.
- Initiate and support activities, programs and processes that facilitate DEI throughout CSE.
- Advise the college administration on matters related to DEI for the purpose of allocating resources, identifying college goals, enhancing recruitment and retention, and fostering culturally competent faculty, staff, and students.
- Annually review CSE data related to diversity of students, faculty and staff and share updates and recommendations, as appropriate, with college members.
- Communicate periodically to the faculty, students and staff through various means, such as the Dean’s Advisory Committee, annual college meeting, newsletter, and websites.