How to Make an Appointment
Make an Appointment
Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or stop by Foust Hall 102 to make an appointment. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8 am to noon and 1 pm to 5 pm.
If your concerns require immediate attention urgent appointments are available daily. Please inform the receptionist when you call to schedule your appointment.
Your First Appointment
Please plan to arrive 20 minutes early to complete the required client information.
For each academic year you are seen at the Counseling Center, you will be required to update your information.
Canceling your appointment
Please call the Counseling Center as soon as possible to cancel a scheduled appointment. This will allow another student to use the appointment.
Sessions are 45-50 minutes in length. You and your counselor will discuss the number of counseling sessions you may need.
Students who require immediate assistance due to crisis or safety concern can request an urgent appointment. These will be scheduled same day or next day. Please inform the receptionist if your situation is urgent and you need to be seen today.
Walk In Wednesdays
The Counseling Center is offering 20-30 minute “walk in” mini consultation sessions for students to meet with a counselor on Wednesday afternoons, from 1-4:30 pm. Appointment times will be offered until filled. “Walk in” appointments will not be scheduled in advance. Students are asked to come 20 minutes early to complete necessary paperwork.
These mini-consultation times are most appropriate for students who are:
- unsure about counseling and want to explore the options
- for students who want to problem solve a specific concern
- for students who have concerns about a friend
- for students who are seeking needed resources
- for students who are in between scheduled appointments and need a quick consultation
- for students who are waiting for an initial consultation appointment
Group, Workshop and Outreach Offerings
Groups, Workshops, and Outreach Offerings
The Counseling Center offers groups and drop in workshops throughout the academic year. Outreach events are provided by request.
TAO (Therapy Assistance Online)
TAO is mobile-friendly to help you deal with everyday life challenges that you can access anytime, anywhere to fit your busy schedule.
It may be helpful to think of TAO as an online library of engaging, interactive programs to learn life skills and to help you bounce back from disappointments or stumbling blocks in life.
Scope of Practice
Free, confidential, short-term counseling services are provided on the Mt. Pleasant campus to currently enrolled CMU students dealing with personal issues that may negatively impact their academic success, interpersonal relationships, health, or safety.
Individual, couples, and group counseling services
Drop-in workshops and outreach programming
Daily urgent appointments for concerns requiring immediate attention
Walk-in mini sessions 1-4:30pm Wednesday afternoons
- Consultation for faculty, staff, and family members
Self-help options through Therapy Assistance Online (TAO)
- Videoconferencing offered under special circumstances and when warranted
Individual Counseling Services:
Confidentiality is maintained according to state laws and professional ethics
Counselors are trained in a variety of issues commonly experienced by college students
- # of sessions is determined together by counselor and student
- Sessions meet weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly
- Concerns requiring long term care will be referred to a community provider
- Students in crisis will not be turned away
- Counselors will coordinate with other campus resources as needed or desired by the student
Services Not Provided:
Long term counseling or case management services
Counseling mandated or suggested by a lawyer
- Assessment for employment or fitness for duty evaluations
- Substance Use Disorder treatment
- Academic Advising
To read the Counseling Center's full scope of practice click
Emotional Support Animals
Assessment/evaluation for emotional support animals is not provided
Ongoing counseling to support a student’s ownership of an ESA is not provided
- Documentation for an ESA for off campus housing is not provided