Do you remember the person who made a lifelong impact on you in college? Maybe an academic adviser helped you get through a hard class or a volunteer coordinator sparked a new passion. In our program, you'll learn the leadership theory and best practices behind building transformative, student-focused college and university environments.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
College and university administrators face a constantly changing set of challenges. You need training to be flexible enough to thrive.
Our master of arts in higher education administration program allows you to tailor your courses to match your career goals. You'll complete our 24-credit core, providing a foundation in everything from student development to higher education financing. Then, you'll choose electives that align with your interests. Practicum, independent study and capstone options allow you to dive deeply into a topic you care about. This 36-credit program will prepare you for a wide variety of jobs, including:
- Academic advising.
- Student life.
- Fraternity and sorority life.
- Residence life.
- Service-learning and civic engagement.
- Career services.
- Disability support services.
As part of this program, you'll complete a capstone project in your last semester where you'll craft a practicum in which you'll conduct research and work side-by-side with a working professional.
Hands-on experience is at the core of our higher education administration program.
- 8-week courses give you time to focus on coursework.
- Graduate assistantships are available. Each includes a full tuition waiver, housing and a professional development program.
- How do educational systems vary overseas? Find out in one of our study-abroad programs, offered every year.
- Program curriculum aligns with the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS).
Careers & Outcomes
An MA in higher education administration from CMU will prepare you for a range of roles at colleges and universities.
|Residential Services Administrator||$45,178|
|Alumni Relations Manager||$60,691|
|Financial Aid Director||$66,462|