Fire or Smoke
If you see smoke or fire:
- CALL 911.
- Give the location of the fire (building, room number).
- ACTIVATE the fire alarm immediately (if not already sounding) by activating a pull station.
- If the alarm fails to operate, warn nearby occupants by knocking on doors and shouting warnings.
- EVACUATE the building immediately.
- Tell others of the fire as you evacuate.
- Begin to account for others that have evacuated.
- Report any missing people to emergency officials as soon as possible.
- Know where CMU's Identified Shelter Locations are located.
- Do not re-enter the building until emergency officials declare it safe.
If the fire alarm is sounding, follow the steps above for evaluation.
To prepare for a fire/smoke, know:
- Where the emergency exits and fire alarm pull stations are in your building.
- At least two ways out of your building or off your floor.
- Where the stairs are located.
- Where CMU's Identified Shelter Locations are located.
Fire prevention is the responsibility of all personnel.
Employees and students should follow safe practices to minimize the hazard of fire; supervisors must ensure that safe practices are followed on a daily basis.
Under no circumstances shall fire doors be propped open using wooden wedges, bricks, dustpans, or any other means.