Candidates completing requirements for a degree in the fall semester will be invited to participate in the December ceremonies. Candidates completing requirements for a degree in the spring semester will be invited to participate in the May ceremonies. Candidates completing requirements for a degree in the summer semester are invited to participate in the following December ceremonies.
Exceptions to this policy will only be made for extenuating circumstances and if ceremony capacity allows for it.
Commencement participation exception request
Changes in ceremony date and/or time are granted for extenuating circumstances. In order to be considered, graduates must complete the exception form listed below. All decisions to this request are final.
Prior to completing the request, please review the guidelines below:
- The opportunity to change your participation in a commencement ceremony is limited to a single request. Please submit your request with careful consideration, ensuring it aligns with a ceremony date that accommodates both you and your guests.
- Exceptions are allowed within one calendar year from the date you earned your diploma.
- If requesting to walk early, students must be enrolled in all remaining degree requirements and have applied for graduation. Please see the Registrar's office webpage for more information.
- Exception forms are reviewed in the semester in which the exception is being requested for and in the order they are received. For example, requests to walk in December are typically reviewed in October/November. Requests to walk in May are reviewed in February/March. Dates are subject to change based on ceremony schedule and planning timeline.
- Exception forms must be submitted at least 4 weeks prior to the commencement date in order to be considered. Graduates will receive an automatic email response when their form has been reviewed.
- Undergraduate students who are approved to walk early and will be graduating with honors must consult the Registrar’s Office regarding eligibility for honor cords or medallions.
- Graduate names appear in the program of the ceremony that aligns with their conferral date. Students requesting to walk at a ceremony prior to or after their conferral date, will not appear in that ceremony's program for which their exception has been approved for.
Time change policy
Candidates are invited to attend the ceremony time in which their college is listed. When the ceremony schedule is released, this information may be found on the ceremony schedule page.
Changing ceremony times is only permitted for graduates requesting to be in the same ceremony as an immediate family member of if there is an unavoidable conflict with the assigned ceremony time. Students requesting a change in their ceremony time must complete the form below. Forms must be submitted at least 3 weeks prior to the commencement date in order to be considered.
Please note ceremony time changes are only available for the current commencement period.