Skip to main content

Emergencies Abroad

For emergencies that may occur while abroad, please know the following information:

911 abroad  

Look up the equivalent number for 911 at your destination in U.S. Department of State’s 911 Abroad website. 

U.S. State Department: American citizens abroad 

From Overseas:  1-202-501-4444 
From the U.S. and Canada:  1-888-407-4747 

U.S. Department of State emergency abroad website 

Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate, or visit the U.S. Department of State’s emergency abroad webpage to read about emergency information.  

GeoBlue Insurance

GeoBlue, CMU’s study abroad medical insurance/assistance provider, has a global health and safety team that is available 24/7/365 to assist you find the nearest medical facility, provide translation services, and monitor your case, when needed. You can contact them via email at  or call from outside the U.S:  +1-610-254-8771 (collect calls accepted).

Study abroad staff   

Contact your onsite staff or faculty leader. 

During normal business hours, the CMU Study Abroad staff in the Office of Global Engagement may be contacted at 1-989-774-4320.  

Evenings and weekends, contact the CMU Police Department: +1-989-774-3081.  Let the CMU Police emergency responder know that you are a CMU student abroad in need of emergency assistance and they will contact the Director of Study Abroad or a member of the staff.