Dr. Nicholson is a professor of Biology at Central Michigan University
- B.S., University of Memphis, 1991
- M.S., Auburn University, 1995
- Ph.D., University of Miami, 2001
- Postdoc., Washington University, St. Louis, 2001-2006
- Introduction to Museums
- Foundations of Form and Function
- Natural History and Ecology
- Phylogenetics and Evolution
- Natural History Collections Methods
Current Research Projects
I hold a dual appointment* that reflects two aspects of my work and research: herpetological ecology and evolution, and museum studies/theory & practice. Previous work in my lab involved the systematics and biogeography of tropical anole lizards. Currently my lab is working on a variety of Michigan-based projects involving climate change and invasive species impacts on reptiles and amphibians in Central Michigan and on Beaver Island. We are also testing hypotheses concerning geographic variation in behavior of various amphibians. I am Curator of Natural History in CMU’s Museum of Cultural and Natural History where I curate the scientific collections and train students in best practices and procedures in museum collections (e.g., taxidermy, specimen preparation, care and maintenance of various collections). I have conducted research projects involving improved methods for museum work.
- Nicholson, K.E., B.I. Crother, C. Guyer, J.M. Savage. 2018. Translating a clade based
classification into one that is valid under the international code of zoological nomenclature: the case of the lizards of the family Dactyloidae (Order Squamata). Zootaxa 4461:573-586.
- Nicholson, K.E.,C. Guyer, and J.G. Phillips. 2017. Biogeographic origin and diversity of
mainland Norops. Chapter 11 in Assumptions Inhibiting Progress in Comparative Biology(Brian I Crother and Lynn R Parenti, editors), 270 pages. CRC Press, ISBN 9781498741279.
- Phillips, J.G., J. Deitloff, C. Guyer,S. Huetteman, and K.E. Nicholson. 2015.A
novel phylogeographic pattern and status of the mainland Norops humilisspecies group. (Squamata: Dactyloidae). BMC Evolutionary Biology 15:143 (DOI 10.1186/s12862-015-0391-4).
- Nicholson, K.E.and G. Köhler. 2014. A new species of the genus Noropsfrom
Darién, Panama with comments on N. sulcifrons(Cope 1899) (Reptilia, Squamata, Dactyloidae). Zootaxa 3895:225-237.
- Igleski, M.J. and K.E Nicholson. 2014. Spacial pattern of Batrachochyrtrium dendrobatidis
infection in Green Frogs (Lithobates clamitans) in Michigan, USA. Herpetological Review 45:34-40.
- Sunyer, J., K.E. Nicholson, J.G. Phillips, J.A. Gubler, and L.A. Obando. 2013. Lizards of the Corn
Islands, Caribbean Nicaragua. CheckList 9:1383-1390.