Skip to main content

Salvage and surplus equipment

Surplus equipment

Items that are no longer needed or required in a university department should be declared surplus. If your department has surplus items please contact Moving and Delivery at or submit a Moving Request (login required) and our department will remove your unwanted items. Surplus items in good condition (i.e. general office furniture, bookcases and file cabinets) will be stored and made available to other University departments. Items in poor condition or unusable items will be sold through public sale. Departments interested in surplus property should contact University Stores. Surplus items can be viewed once per week by appointment. Surplus equipment is distributed to university departments on a first-come, first-served basis at little or no cost.

Salvage equipment

Equipment or assets deemed no longer fit for use or no longer useful are considered Salvage. All salvage equipment is sold through one of three methods: Monthly Public Surplus Sales, Annual Auction or Online Auction. The Fixed Assets department is responsible for arranging all aspects of salvage sales.

In order for salvage items to be removed from a departmental equipment inventory the items must be turned in for public sale by submitting a Moving Request (login required). All items must be turned in for sale even if they are broken, cannibalized or in non-working condition. For specific information regarding equipment sales please view the Surplus Sales page on this website.  

Equipment disposal or sale

The Fixed Assets Department is responsible for the disposal or sale of all university equipment. Fixed Assets is charged with the responsibility of making sure that the sale of all equipment is properly documented and that the university receives a fair market price for goods sold. Any department interested in selling equipment or assets should contact the Fixed Assets Department at

Stolen equipment

University Departments that experience any theft are strongly encouraged to file a police report. The police report should be filed as soon as the theft is discovered. In order for items to be removed from a departmental equipment inventory as stolen university departments must provide a police report number, the date the report was completed and the specific equipment by tag number that was stolen. This policy is closely followed and is in place to ensure correct property management practices.