Accepting payments online
CMU has the ability to set up departments to securely accept credit card payments online. If you already have an online form built or need one created, it can easily be interfaced with the secure online credit card acceptance vendor.
Fill out the Merchant Site Request Form (new version coming soon). Once the form is submitted, it will be reviewed and you will be contacted regarding next steps.
Depending on the complexity of the web form and the technical support that you already have, assistance from OIT may need to be requested. The request should be submitted as early as possible to ensure that your form is set up on time. It is preferred that this request is submitted at least 4-6 weeks before you would like to start accepting payments.
In the request, please be sure to mention the following...
- You would like to accept payments using the Commerce Manager Quikpay credit card payment screen.
- The date you would like to start accepting payments.
- Whether or not you have a technical individual to assist with the project.
- A template of the online form that you need to be created.
- After submitting the form, you will be contacted by OIT with information on how to proceed.
When it gets closer to your go-live date, you will receive an email with Login Names and Passwords for the individuals you listed on the request form needing admin access to the credit card acceptance website. A training session will also be offered.
It is important that all individuals involved in accepting credit cards read and fully understand the policies and procedures related to credit card processing. Please review all documents on the Merchant Services website under Related Resources.
- Per Transaction Fee - The online credit card acceptance vendor charges $0.25 per transaction.
- Discount and Adjustment Fees - The University is charged a discount rate or fee on all credit card transactions by the Credit Card Processor. The amount of the fee is determined by the type of credit card, the number of transactions and the dollar value of the credit card sale.
Batches will automatically be settled at 5:00 p.m. each day.
Acquiring your funds
During the setup of your online form, you will assign your payment(s) an order type and order description. The order type and order description will be linked to a cost center and GL. The credit card funds will automatically be allocated to the assigned account 1-3 days after the date of the sale.
A chargeback is a reversal of a previous sale transaction resulting when a cardholder or card issuer disputes a charge posted to their account. In the event of a chargeback, it is the responsibility of the department to respond back to the chargeback by the date provided on the report sent to you. You are required to provide information regarding the sale and any other supporting documentation to substantiate the claim. You should retain a copy of all correspondence for your files. It is also the responsibility of the department to process a journal entry to the corresponding account if the chargeback is settled in the cardholder's favor.