Skip to main content

J-1 Exchange Visitor Students

There are two types of students who may participate in the J-1 Exchange Visitor program as a student: degree-seeking and non-degree.

  • Degree seeking students: student pursing a full-time degree program
  • Non-degree seeking students: students participating in a prescribed program

To learn more about internal and external partners to facilitate international agreements and the development of international partnerships visit:

Health insurance requirement

Federal regulations require that all Exchange Visitors maintain health insurance coverage for the entirety of their program. The university is not required to pay for the insurance coverage but must ensure that the visitor and all accompanying dependents have valid coverage while in the United States.

All J-1 students are automatically enrolled in CMU’s health insurance plan with GeoBlue. For additional information visit the Health Insurance for International Students page. The insurance plan meets all the requirements of the federal regulations.

Arrival and housing arrangements

The academic department or college inviting an exchange visitor is responsible for planning for the student’s travel to campus and any necessary housing reservations. If the student will require on-campus housing, see additional information about housing from Residence Life.

Financial support

The required financial support is determined by current cost of attendance for CMU programs.

The additional funding proof needed for a spouse dependent is $5,000 and $3,500 for child dependents if they will be accompanying the exchange visitor to the U.S.


After the student is admitted and the host department request is completed, the student will receive an information and an invitation to the ISSS portal to complete the student information and upload their documents (including the financial documents).