Reporting Changes While on OPT
Reset SEVP portal account
To request a password reset of your SEVP Portal:
- Go to the SEVP Portal login page.
- Click the “Reset Password” link that is located under the email and password fields.
- Enter the email address associated with your SEVIS record/portal account (usually your @cmich.edu email) and your SEVIS ID. Click update password.
- Check your email for your temporary password.
- Return to the SEVP Portal login page and log in using the temporary password you were given.
- Follow the instructions from there to set a new password.
Visit the Make and Maintain User Password page on Study in the States for additional information about SEVP passwords.
If you have issues with this or if you continue to have login difficulty, please contact the SEVIS Help Desk at 800-892-4829.
Update my address
You should only enter an address if you live there. Please keep in mind that the address form allows you to enter two different addresses. Therefore, it is important that both address fields are updated accurately. If you wish, you may choose to report your address using only the "permanent address" fields.
Update information for a job I have previously reported
Follow these instructions to update the following information:
- Employer address.
- Work location address.
- I-983 information (for STEM OPT students only).
To update employer information for a job you have previously reported:
- Log in to OGE's application system (https://oia-intl.cmich.edu).
- Find and click on the OPT Employment Update application that includes the correct employer information (look next to the application ID to find the employer name if you have more than one OPT Employment Update application).
- Click on and submit the OPT Employer Information Update questionnaire.
Students on STEM OPT must also submit an updated form I-983 with this questionnaire. An upload link is provided in the questionnaire. The I-983 should be complete and signed on all applicable lines, with the exception of the student evaluation boxes on page 5, which can be left blank.