Office of Sponsored Programs
We help the CMU community engage in high-quality research and sponsored activities by providing a range of helpful services.
We can help you with the following activities that support your research and scholarship at CMU:
Searching for funding sources
- Identify appropriate federal, state, foundation, and corporate funding opportunities and disseminate solicitations to interested faculty and staff.
Obtaining information about funding opportunities
- Obtain program guidelines, applications, abstracts of funded projects, and sample funded proposals.
PI support and training
- Make available grant writing workshops and other training opportunities.
- Provide travel funds for applicant visits with agency program officers or other collaborators.
- Identify faculty and staff with similar research and creative interests.
- Identify and organize teams seeking funding for large interdisciplinary projects.
Liaison with external agencies
- Assist with contact and arranging visits with appropriate agency program officers.
- Act as liaison with federal, state, and foundation funding agencies for pre-award information and support.
Guide proposal development
- Assist with the development or revision of proposals for external submission.
- Identify consultants and other experts within or outside CMU.
- Provide proposal review and editing.
- Compose letters of support.
- Engage internal and external grant writers on major grant projects.
- Obtain required assurances from CMU officials and external entities.
- Provide follow-up consultation toward the revision and resubmission of declined proposals, including obtaining and interpreting reviewer comments and contacting the agency for additional insights into the review process.
Support budget preparation
- Assist with budget development and assure funding requests align with CMU and sponsor guidelines.
- Assist with the development of budget narratives.
- Complete agency-specific budget forms.
Authorize proposals for submission
- Review proposals for conformance to agency and CMU guidelines.
- Provide guidance and support for the institutional approval process.
- Submit proposals to external agencies.
- Negotiate and initiate grant and contract awards.
- Assist in review and preparation of contract and subcontract documents.
- Obtain institutional approval for acceptance of awards.
- Act as liaison with Grant Accounting and other university departments to process awards and establish account numbers.
- Review payroll forms, independent contractor questionnaires, and purchase requisitions exceeding $5,000 to ensure expenditures align with funding guidelines.
- Assist with budget revisions, project extension requests, and other functions necessitating sponsor approval.
- Assist with authorization and submission of required reports.
- Act as liaison with IRB and IACUC for compliance with funded projects.
- Work with faculty on inventions/ideas that have the potential for patent or commercial application.
Please contact us at any time to discuss your next grant opportunity or industry collaboration.