Faculty Research and Creative Endeavors
The Faculty Research and Creative Endeavors program is administered by a faculty committee appointed by the Academic Senate, with oversight and grant management provided by the Office of Sponsored Programs.
To contact the FRCE Committee Liaison email FRCE@cmich.edu or call 989-774-6777.
FRCE applications and completion reports will be submitted via the FRCE Application Portal. It is important to have all materials prepared ahead of the submission as the FRCE application portal does not have the ability to save partially completed applications.
Premier Display Funds cover presentation (travel) expenses to meetings, conferences or exhibitions.
Publication and Exhibition Cost Funds cover the costs associated with the publication of a scholarly book or monograph, page charges, exhibition fees, shipping costs of artwork and other similar expenses.
Research Grants support research, scholarship or creative endeavors. There are three types of awards (Type A, Type B and Type C) with maximum funding of $3,500 and $8,000. Type B and Type C Grants provide the option to request course release support (at the replacement rate in effect at the time of award).
Completion Reports (Previously referred to as Termination Reports): FRCE Research Grant recipients are required to submit a Completion Report within 18 months of the conclusion of their funded project.
- Please reference the FRCE Completion Report Instructions for guidance on requirements of previous year research grants as well.
Deadlines and meeting dates
Premier Display, Publication and Exhibition Cost Fund Applications and Completion Report Submissions
All submissions must be made on or before 11:59 p.m. on the date listed below in order to be reviewed at the correlating committee meeting.
- September 6, 2023 for review at the September 20, 2023 committee meeting
- October 11, 2023 for review at the October 25, 2023 committee meeting
- November 1, 2023 for review at the November 15, 2023 committee meeting
- February 7, 2024 for review at the February 21, 2024 committee meeting
- March 6, 2024 for review at the March 20, 2024 committee meeting
- March 27, 2024 for review at the April 10, 2024 committee meeting
Research grant applications
Department Chair and College Dean's electronic approvals must be received no later than one day before the FRCE committee meeting in order for a Research Grant proposal to be considered for review. See Chairs and Deans Approvals on Research Grants document for more information.
- August 30, 2023 for review at the September 20, 2023 committee meeting - (Original Submissions only)
- November 1, 2023 for review at the November 15, 2023 committee meeting - (Research Resubmissions only)
- January 31, 2024 for review at the February 21, 2024 committee meeting - (Original Submissions only)
- March 27, 2024 for review at the April 10, 2024 committee meeting - (Research Resubmissions only)
The 2023-2024 FRCE faculty committee members are as follows:
- Shay Dawson, College of Education and Human Services, Chair
- Daniela Richter, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, Chair Elect
- Keeley Stanley-Bohn, College of Arts and Media
- Nayib Zamarripa, College of Business Administration
- VACANT, College of Health Professions
- Tracy Brown, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
- Maria Chouza Calo, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
- Julien Rossignol, College of Medicine
- Jason Keeler, College of Science and Engineering
- VACANT, College of Science and Engineering
- Jennifer Rundels, Library
- Ann Kucera, Staff, Professional & Administrative, Library
- David Weindorf, Vice President for Research and Innovation, Ex Officio