More About KSENIA USTINOVA
Publications & Presentations
- Langenderfer JE, Thompson MR, Ustinova KI. (2021) Postural Stability Challenges in Narrow Walking after Traumatic Brain Injury. International Journal of Human Movement and Sports Sciences 9 (5), 948-954.
- Gibson TM, Langenderfer JE, Ustinova KI (2020) Effects of Breast Motion on Lower-Body Kinematics during Running. Int Journal of Human Movement and Sports Sciences 8 (2): 51-56.
- Gibson TM, Balendra N, Ustinova KI, Langenderfer J (2019). Reductions in Kinematics from Brassieres with Varying Breast Support. International Journal of Exercise Science, 12 (1), 402-411.
- Ustinova KI, Langenderfer JE (2019). Delay in Hand Grasp Release in Individuals with Post-stroke Hemiparesis. International Journal of Human Movement and Sports Sciences 7(1): 1-4.
- Ustinova KI, Chernikova LA, Khizhnikova AE, Poydasheva AG, et al. (2018) Theoretical basis for classical methods of motor rehabilitation in neurology. Annals of Clinical and Experimental Neurology, 12 (3): 54-60.
- Kulikov AG, Voronina DD, Morozov AE, Zajceva TN, Ustinova KI (2018). New approach for evaluating the effectiveness of whole-body magnetic field therapy in the rehabilitation of patients with lumbar discectomy. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil, 31(6): 1065-1073.
- Austin HM, Balendra N, Langenderfer JE, Ustinova KI (2018) Decomposition of leg movements during overground walking in individuals with traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj, 32(6):739-746.
- Chervyakov AV, Poydasheva AG, Lyukmanov RH, Suponeva NA, Chernikova LA, Piradov MA, Ustinova KI (2018) Effects of Navigated Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation After Stroke. J Clin Neurophysiol, 35(2):166-172.
- Ustinova KI (2017) Decomposition of postural movements in individuals with TBI while reaching to intercept a moving virtual target. Physiother Theory Pract. 33(7):527-534.
- Ustinova KI, Langenderfer JE, Balendra N. (2017) Enhanced arm swing alters interlimb coordination during overground walking in individuals with traumatic brain injury. Hum Mov Sci, 52:45-54.
- Bobick JM, Fabera A, Perkins J, Ustinova KI. (2016) Effect of Viewing Angle and Object Position on Accuracy of Arm Reaching in a 3D Virtual Environment. Frontiers in Psychological and Behavioral Science, 5(1): 28-34.
- Song SJ, Beard CA, Ustinova KI (2016) The effects of wearing a compression top on trunk and golf club motions during golf swing, Clothing and Textiles Research Journal 34 (1), 48-60.
- Ustinova KI, Chernikova LA, Dull A, Perkins J (2015). Physical therapy for correcting postural and coordination deficits in patients with mild-to-moderate traumatic brain injury. Physiother Theory Pract 31:1-7.
- VanderHill MS, Wolf EE, Langenderfer JE, Ustinova KI (2014). The effect of actual and imaginary handgrip on postural stability during different balance conditions Gait Posture 40:652-657.
- Ustinova KI, Perkins J, Leonard WA, Hausbeck C (2014). Virtual reality game–based therapy for treatment of postural and coordination abnormalities secondary to TBI: an efficacy study. Brain Inj 28: 486-95.
- Ustinova KI, Silkwood-Sherer D (2014). Gripping an External Object Stabilizes Upright Posture Perturbed by a Moving Virtual Environment in Patients with Traumatic Brain Injury J Neurol Phys Ther 38:125-33.
- Perkins J, Ustinova KI, Hausbeck C (2013). Case Series Illustrating the Use of Consistent Rehabilitation Outcome Measures in Traumatic Brain. Journal of Novel Physiotherapies 3 (177): 1-4.
- O'Neil R, Skeel RL, Ustinova KI (2013). Cognitive Ability Predicts Motor Learning on a Virtual Reality Game in Patients with TBI. NeuroRehabilitation, 1;33(4):667-80.
- Paavola JM, Oliver KE, Ustinova KI (2013). Use of Xbox Kinect gaming console for rehabilitation of an individual with traumatic brain injury: a case report. Journal of Novel Physiotherapies, 3: 129.
- Ustinova KI, Feldman AG, Levin MF (2013). Bilateral coupling facilitates restoration of rhythmical movement in the paretic arm after stroke. Exp Brain Res, 227: 263-274.
- Schafer AY, Ustinova KI (2013). Does Use of a Virtual Environment Facilitate Reaching while Standing in Patients with Traumatic Brain Injury? J Neuroeng Rehabil, 10:76.
- Spreitzer L, Perkins J, Ustinova KI (2013). Challenging Stability Limits in Old and Young Individuals with a Functional Reaching Task. Am J Rehab Medicine, 92: 36-44.
- Koptelova PO, Perkins J, Ustinova KI (2013). Effect of optic flow speed on step initiation in older and younger individuals. Review of Psychology Frontier, 2: 7-12.
- Ustinova KI, Langenderfer JE (2013). Postural Stabilization by Gripping a Stick with Different Force Levels. Gait & Posture, 38: 97-103.
- Ustinova KI, Leonard WA, Cassavaugh ND, Ingersoll CD (2011). Development of 3D immersive videogame to improve arm-postural coordination in patients with TBI. J Neuroeng Rehabil. 31:8:61.
- Chernikova LA, Ioffe ME, Kurganskaya ME, Mokienko OA, Katsuba NA, Ustinova KI, Prokopenko RA, Frolov AA (2011). The use of the virtual reality technology for the restoration of movements of the paretic hand after stroke. Physiotherapy, Balneology and Rehabilitation: 3:3-7.
- Ustinova KI, Perkins, J (2011). Gaze and viewing angle influence visual stabilization of upright posture. Brain and Behavior, 1:19-25.
- Engler SA, Lilly KA, Perkins J, Ustinova KI (2011). A pointing task to improve the performance of the functional reach test in older adults. Am J Rehab Medicine, 90:217-225.
- Ustinova K, Chernikova L, Bilimenko A, Telenkov A, Epstein N (2011). Effect of robotic locomotor training in an individual with Parkinson’s Disease: a case report. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 6:77-85.
- Ustinova KI, Perkins J, Szostakowski L, Tamkei LS, Leonard WA (2010). Effect of viewing angle on arm reaching while standing in a virtual environment: potential for virtual rehabilitation. Acta Psychologica, 133:180–190.
- Hausbeck CJ, Strong MJ, Tamkei LS, Leonard WA, Ustinova KI (2009). The effect of additional hand contact on postural stability perturbed by a moving environment. Gait & Posture 29: 509–513.
- Ustinova KI, Chernikova LA (2008). Virtual reality in neurorehabilitation. Annals Neurology 4:34-39.
- Ioffe ME, Chernikova LA, Ustinova KI (2007). Role of the cerebellum in learning postural task. Cerebellum, 6: 87-94.
- Ustinova KI, Fung J, Levin MF (2006). Disruption of bilateral temporal coordination during arm swinging in patients with hemiparesis. Exp Brain Res, 6:1-14.
- Ustinova KI, Levin MF, Feldman AG (2006). Central resetting of neuromuscular steady states may underlie rhythmical arm movements. J Neurophysiol 96: 1124-1134.
- Ioffe ME, Ustinova KI, Chernikova LA, Kulikov MA. (2006) Learning postural tasks in patients with hemiparesis, Parkinson’s disease and cerebellar ataxia. Exp Brain Res, 168:384- 394.
- Ioffe ME, Ustinova KI, Chernikova LA, Luk’yanova YA, Ivanova-Smolenskaya IA, Kulikov MA. (2004) Characteristics of learning voluntary control of posture in lesions of the pyramidal and nigrostriatal systems. Neurosc Behav Physiol, 34:543-549.
- Ustinova KI, Goussev VM, Balasubramaniam R, Levin MF (2004). Disruption of co-ordination between arm, trunk and centre of pressure displacement in patients with hemiparesis. Motor Control, 8:139-160.
- Ustinova KI, Ioffe ME, Chernikova LA, Illarioshkin SN, Markova ED (2004). Learning of voluntary control of posture using biofeedback in the patients with spinocerebellar degenerations Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 104:64-70.
- Ustinova KI, Ioffe ME, Chernikova LA (2003) Vertical posture disorder in patients with poststroke hemiparesis. Fiziol Cheloveka, 29:140-147.
- Ustinova KI, Ioffe MI, Chernikova LA (2003) Age-related features of the voluntary control of the upright posture, Fiziol Cheloveka, 29:74-78.
- Ustinova KI, Chernikova L.A., Ioffe M.E (2001) Impairment of learning the voluntary control of posture in patients with cortical lesions of different locations: the cortical mechanisms of pose regulation. Neurosc Behav Physiol, 31:259-267.
- Ustinova KI, Chernikova LA, Matveev EV, Luk'ianova IuA, Aleshkin DV, Vasil'ev AA (2000) Use of a bilateral stabilographic platform in the diagnosis and rehabilitation of movement disorders at the clinic of nervous system diseases. Med Tekh, 6:35-40.
- Ustinova KI, Chernikova LA, Ioffe ME, Sliva SS (2000). Deficit of learning of posture voluntary control in patients with cortical lesions of various locations: cortical mechanisms of posture regulation. Zh Vyssh Nerv Deiat Im I P Pavlova, 50:421-433.
Credentials, Certifications & Awards
- Principal Investigator: The US Department of Defense, Concept Award: Design of virtual reality-based therapy to restore the whole body coordination deficits following deployment-acquired traumatic brain injury (2010-2012).
- Principal Investigator: Blue Cross Blue Shield Foundation of Michigan, Research Grant: Virtual reality game-based telerehabilitation in patients with traumatic brain injury (2012-2013).
- Principal Investigator: The Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions, Interdisciplinary Research Award: Virtual reality game-based telerehabilitation in patients with traumatic brain injury (2012-2013).
- Principal Investigator: National Science Foundation, Major Research Instrumentation: Acquisition of a Vicon system for multi-disciplinary research and education in rehabilitation engineering (2013-2016).
- Co- Principal Investigator: SheFit Corporation: Test of effectiveness of the SheFit sport brassiere (2017).
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Montreal
- PhD, Theory and Methods of Physical Therapy, Russian State University of Physical Education and Sport
- DPT, College of St. Scholastica
- BS, Physical Education/Physical Therapy, Russian State University of Physical Education and Sport
- Neurorehabilitation; motor control, learning, recovery, and compensation after neurological injuries and diseases
- Development and validate of new rehabilitation techniques and devices
- Virtual reality and biofeedback in neurorehabilitation
- Post-COVID fatigue
Membership in Professional Organizations
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
- PTH 623: Clinical Pathophysiology and Pharmacology III
- PTH 626: Neuroanatomy in Physical Therapy
- PTH 650: Research and Evidence-Based Practice I
- PTH 665: Physical Therapy Seminar I
- PTH 666: Physical Therapy Seminar II
- PTH 672: Clinical Anatomy and Kinesiology of Human Joints
- PTH 725: Research and Evidence-Based Practice II
- PTH 766: Physical Therapy Seminar IV
- PTH 790: Clinical Research I
- PTH 890: Clinical Research II