Publications & Presentations
- Andraka JM, Sharma N, & Marchalant YM. Can krill oil be of use for counteracting neuroinflammatory processes induced by high fat diet and aging? Neurosci Res. 2019 Aug 22. pii: S0168-0102(19)30312-8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kazyken D, Magnuson B, Bodur C, Acosta-Jaquez HA, Zhang D, Tong X, Barnes TM, Steinl GK, Patterson NE, Altheim CH, Sharma N, Inoki K, Cartee GD, Bridges D, Yin L, Riddle SM, Fingar DC. AMPK directly activates mTORC2 to promote cell survival during acute energetic stress. Sci Signal. 12: pii: eaav3249, 2019.
- Roth J, Szczygiel T, Moore M, O'Connor P, Edwards J, Sharma N, Pettit-Mee R, Zuhl M. Profiling inflammatory markers during the competitive season and post season in collegiate wrestlers. J Strength Cond Res. 33:2153-2161, 2019.
- Sharma N, Arias EB, and Cartee GD. Inhibition of Akt2 phosphorylation abolishes the calorie restriction-induced improvement in insulin-stimulated glucose uptake by rat soleus muscle. Appl Phys Nutr Metab 41: 1208-11, 2016.
- Sessions J, Bourbeau K, Rosinski M, Szczygiel T, Nelson R, Sharma N, and Zuhl MN. The effects of carbohydrate gel ingestion during running in the heat on markers of gastrointestinal damage and plasma cytokines. Eur J Sport Sci 3: 1-9, 2016.
- Post-Doctoral Training, Muscle Biology, University of Michigan, 2010
- PhD, Nutrition, Case Western Reserve University, 2007
- MS, Exercise Physiology, Case Western Reserve University, 2004
- BPHE, Exercise Physiology, Queens University, 2001
- BS, Biology, Queens University, 2001
Aging leads to an increased prevalence of several pathologies that are linked to insulin resistance including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and neurological disorders. Dr. Sharma’s lab is interested in understanding the molecular mechanisms that lead to age-associated insulin resistance, and how interventions such as diet and exercise may slow this consequence of aging.
Membership in Professional Organizations
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Diabetes Association
- American Physiological Society
- American Heart Association
- Endocrine Society
- Michigan Physiological Society
- HSC 315WI: Critical Analysis of Contemporary Issue in Exercise and Health Sciences
- HSC 503: Health Implications of Obesity
- HSC 638: Endocrine and Metabolic Responses to Exercise