Lock It or Lose It
Remove your valuables and lock your vehicle
In the United States, a motor vehicle is stolen every 44 seconds.
Don't be the next victim
Nearly half of vehicle theft is the result of driver error, such as leaving a key in the ignition or a door unlocked. An unlocked door or window is an easy target for thieves.
The estimated total value of vehicles stolen nationwide each year exceeds $4.3 billion!
Only half of vehicles reported stolen are recovered.
Tips for keeping your vehicles and valuables safe:
- Always close windows, lock doors and take the key with you.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended while running.
- Park in a garage if available. Lock BOTH the car and the garage.
- Don't leave your keys unattended, especially in easily accessible areas.
- Keep vehicle registration and proof of insurance on you; DON'T leave these documents in your glove compartment.
- Always park in well-lit areas.
- Never leave valuables or packages in your vehicle, especially WHERE THEY CAN BE SEEN. Put them in the trunk!
- Report suspicious activity by calling 911.
(Content provided by the Michigan Automobile Theft Prevention Authority (ATPA) of the Michigan State Police)