Fines and penalties
The person who registers a vehicle with the university is responsible for all parking violations and is subject to all fines or disciplinary action.
- Failure to pay a parking violation within 7 days will result in a late fee.
- Parking violations that remain outstanding for 17 days or more will be billed to the registered owner's student or employee account.
Violations are handled through the CMU Police/Parking Services Department or can be paid online.
Parking fine schedule
|VIOLATION||AMOUNT||AFTER 7 DAYS|
|Handicap Parking Violation||$150||$150|
|License Plate not Visible||$30||$45|
|Parking in Service Drive Area||$30||$45|
|No Parking 2 a.m. - 6 a.m.||$30||$45|
|No Valid Permit||$30||$45|
|Parking in No-Parking Area (Signed)||$30||$45|
|No Parking in a Fire Lane||$30||$45|
|Parking in a Restricted Area||$30||$45|
Revocation of privileges
Parking privileges may be revoked for:
- Providing false information when applying for parking privileges.
- Using a fraudulent parking permit or other fraud-related actions.
- Excessive violations.
After reviewing the CMU Parking Ordinances, you may appeal a citation if a valid explanation is provided. The appeals process is designed to provide a format in which the citation can be reviewed. Parking citations can be appealed online within 14 days from the issue date of the citation. Day 1, is the day the citation is issued.
Parking enforcement reticketing guidelines
The times for re-ticketing vehicles parked in violation at the same location are as follows:
- Meters may be re-ticketed after two (2) hours (maximum of two per day).
- Service drives and all other violations may be re-ticketed after four (4) hours (maximum of two per day).
- Vehicles parked in violation of university parking regulations, those that have five or more outstanding violations, failing to comply with the mandatory lot evacuation schedule, or situations deemed necessary by CMU Police may be towed at the owner's expense.
- Vehicles displaying a fraudulent, lost or stolen parking permit and/or plate may be towed at the owner's expense.
The Michigan Vehicle Code, Central Michigan University established Ordinances and Rules & Regulations are adopted by the CMU Board of Trustees as part of the CMU Traffic Ordinance.
Please let us know if you have any questions or need assistance. We are always here to help you, especially as you are welcomed to YOUR campus.