Active Assailant or Shooter
Active Assailant/Shooter: TAKE ACTION
When an active assailant/shooter is in your vicinity: RUN, HIDE, FIGHT.
- RUN away from the threat if safe to do so.
- Be alert: police may be responding — follow their directions.
- Call 911 when safe to do so.
- HIDE if you cannot run.
- Find a safe place to shelter, LOCK the door, STAY away from windows and SILENCE your cell phone.
- FIGHT against the threat, only as a last resort.
- Consider things that you could use to STOP the assailant/shooter like chairs, tables, and fire extinguishers.
If you or others are injured, and when safe to do so, STOP THE BLEED.
If outdoors or across/off-campus from the emergency: Move or stay away from the affected area and follow the instructions provided to you through Central Alert. Learn what to do if you are instructed to shelter in place.
Active Assailant/Shooter: GET READY
- Be aware of your surroundings!
- Notice the location of exits. Whether you are in a familiar building or visiting a building on campus, always look for multiple ways out.
- Think of where you would take cover or hide if you could not leave the building and how you would keep an assailant out of your area.
- Review and update your contact information for CENTRAL ALERT.
- Think of what you might need (food, water, and medication) if you must stay in one location for an extended period of time.
- Where am I in relation to the incident? Am I where the incident is taking place, near it, outside, across campus? Your location affects your choices.
- Is it safe to evacuate?
- Where would I shelter in place?
- If my life depended on it, would I take aggressive action against the shooter?
- What can I use to defend myself?
- How do I STOP THE BLEED if someone is injured?