Serious and Catastrophic Leave
In order to be eligible to apply for Serious and Catastrophic Leave, you must:
- Be employed in a participating employee group.
- Have successfully completed twelve (12) months of employment and 1250 hours of service.
- Have exhausted all paid leave, including sick, vacation, personal and accrued compensatory time.
- Not have been formally disciplined during the twelve (12) months immediately preceding application for leave under the Serious and Catastrophic Leave Policy.
- Be on an approved medical leave of absence in accordance with the appropriate staff employment handbook or collective bargaining agreement due to your own or a family member's serious health condition, supported by qualifying adequate written medical documentation.
If you are receiving workers compensation benefits, income replacement through short-term disability, or long-term disability you are ineligible to receive paid sick leave through the Serious and Catastrophic Leave Bank.
See Serious and Catastrophic Leave (SCL) Bank Procedure/Guideline for more information.