Guidance on Additional Paid Leave
The 2023 year-end holiday closure is scheduled from 5:00 p.m. Thursday 12/21/2023-8:00 a.m. Tuesday 1/2/2024. The president approves four additional paid leave days for staff, 12-month faculty and postdocs. This is intended to provide flexibility to take a longer paid break at year-end (or a time more suitable for departmental operations).
For reference, the year-end closure can be found on our Holidays page.
- To be eligible for the additional paid leave days, employees must be hired before December 1st.
- The additional paid leave days may be utilized between Monday, November 20th through Sunday, March 10th.
- The additional paid leave days are to be used as "whole days" for the regular work schedule of the employee (if the normal shift is 8 hours, the employee will receive an 8-hour paid day; if the normal shift is 4 hours, the employee will receive a 4-hour paid day, etc.).
- The additional paid leave days must be approved in advance. Supervisors shall not unreasonably deny the employee's request of additional paid leave days.
- Employees will not receive a cash payout for any unused additional paid leave days and any unused additional paid leave days do not accrue.
- As with past additional paid leave days, it is recommended the time should be tracked between the employee and the supervisor outside the TimeClock Plus system.
- SM employees are considered "positive" employees for payroll purposes and must record the time as "Paid Absence" to be paid for the time off.
- Employees already scheduled for a paid day off during this time period may, with supervisor approval, remove the recorded time from TimeClock Plus to utilize an additional paid leave day.