BLOG: Web Insights Blog

www2 content migration information and frequently asked questions

Through Nov. 1, areas across campus will be migrating content from the SharePoint website, www2.cmich.edu, to the external-facing website, www.cmich.edu.  

While many pages and documents remained on www2.cmich.edu after the new website launch, we are now adding them to the external website to serve a wider audience including current students, faculty and staff. This will make all CMU content findable from a single place, searching from cmich.edu. 

Below are several questions we’ve received about the content migration and how it will affect you.  

• What is happening to www2.cmich.edu? 
    • SharePoint 2013, which houses www2.cmich.edu, is past its end-of-life and is being retired. Content on www2 is being migrated to cmich.edu so that it is available to the entire CMU community.  
  • When will the changes take effect? 
    • You will notice changes taking effect now until Nov. 1 as areas across the university move their content from www2.cmich.edu to www.cmich.edu
  • When should I use www2.cmich.edu and when should I use www.cmich.edu
    • After Nov. 1, all CMU content will be accessible from www.cmich.edu. Before that date, if you are looking for something, start your search on cmich.edu as more and more (and eventually all) content will be located there. If you don’t find it by searching the cmich.edu site, search the www2 site (esp. for content most relevant to current faculty and staff (HR, FAS, etc.)).  
  • What will the intranet look like? 
    • The intranet will be a portal providing access to critical university resources that today can be found on the My Account page in CentralLink. 
  • What will happen to my bookmarks? 
    • All bookmarks to the www2 pages will either be redirected to a relevant www.cmich.edu page or give a 404 page not found error with information about the www2 retirement. Updating your bookmarks to the www.cmich.edu page will improve your experience going forward. 
  • How do I access My Account? 
    • You can access My Account page in CentralLink by clicking the “Sign In” link on www.cmich.edu
  • What is happening with My Account and the applications that are available from www2?
    • OIT is currently evaluating options for My Account and the other applications. While much of the other content will be removed from www2 on or before Nov 1st, it is expected that the My Account page and other applications will still reside at their current locations. OIT will communicate more details for each of these as solutions for each become available.
  • Will everything be gone when www2 is retired? 
    • All content that was publicly available when the www2 was the main university website will be no longer available. Each unit is reviewing the content on www2 and determining what should move to cmich.edu and what can be archived or deleted.  The www2.cmich.edu site will simply serve as a portal providing access to critical university resources that today can be found on the My Account page in CentralLink using the “Sign In” link on www.cmich.edu.  
  • I link to content on www2 that I want to ensure I will still have access to. What should I do? 
    • Content you use will likely be accounted for during this migration process. Each unit is reviewing the content on www2 and determining what should move to cmich.edu and what can be archived or deleted.  If you have any questions, contact the primary website collaborator for the unit with the URL of the content as it currently exists on www2. 
  • What will happen to CMU Today? 
    • CMU Today serves as a bulletin board application for the university and will be linked to from the portal.  You can continue to access CMU Today from the daily email you receive, and you can find a link to it from the My Account page accessed from the “Sign In” link on www.cmich.edu.  

If you have questions about this content migration effort, contact Roy Schalk, Associate Director of Application and System Integrations, or Kiera Davenport, Director of Digital Strategy. 

Blog: Web Insights Blog posted | Last Modified: | Author: by Office of Information Technology and University Communications | Categories: Information Technology University Communications
The views and opinions expressed in these blog pages are strictly those of the page author.