Dr. David C. Weindorf currently serves as Vice President for Research and Innovation at Central Michigan University. Dr. Weindorf holds a B.S. in Range Management, M.S. in Soil Science (geochemistry minor), and a Ph.D. in Agronomy from Texas Tech University (TTU).
Dr. Weindorf is a Fellow and Presidential Award winner of the Soil Science Society of America, having served as chair of the Pedology section (S-5) in 2016. He is a licensed Texas Professional Geoscientist. He currently serves on the editorial boards of Pedosphere and Geoderma, and on the board of trustees for the Compost Research and Education Foundation.
A Fulbright Scholar, Dr. Weindorf has published >180 peer reviewed research papers in top international journals germane to soil/water/compost science, environmental quality assessment, and international, translational soil taxonomy. Dr. Weindorf’s research team provided emergency response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill and Gold King Mine spill, the latter of which he was called upon to offer testimony to the US Senate.
Holder of two awarded patents, Dr. Weindorf is widely considered an international authority in proximal sensor characterization of soil, having authored multiple methods papers for successful proximal sensor use. He is Executive Producer of the acclaimed documentary film “Between Earth and Sky – Climate Change on the Last Frontier.” Previously, Dr. Weindorf served as Associate Vice President of Research at TTU, Associate Dean of Research and BL Allen Endowed Chair of Pedology in the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (TTU), and Associate Professor and Assistant Professor of Soil Classification/Land Use at Louisiana State University (LSU). Prior to that, he was an Assistant Professor of Soil Science at Tarleton State University. In addition, he served as coach of the intercollegiate soils judging teams at Tarleton State, LSU, and TTU.
- Fulbright Specialist at the Indian Institute of Technology – Kharagpur (2018)
- TTU International Impact Award (2017)
- Soil Science Society of America (SSSA) Fellow (2017)
- SSSA President's Award (2017)
- TTU Faculty International Scholarship Award (2015)
- USDA-NRCS National Cooperative Soil Survey's Eagle Award (2012)
- LSU Gamma Sigma Delta's Agricultural Teacher Honor Role (2011)
- Fulbright Scholar at Universitatea de Ştiinţe Agricole şi Medicină Veterinară in Cluj-Napoca, Romania (2011)
- Sedberry Award for Outstanding Graduate Teacher in the LSU College of Agriculture (2010)
- LSU Gamma Sigma Delta's Teaching Award of Merit (2010)
Dr. Weindorf holds a B.S. in Range Management, M.S. in Soil Science (geochemistry minor), and Ph.D. in Agronomy from Texas Tech University (TTU).
Research In his research career, Dr. Weindorf has focused extensively on the development of new applications for proximal sensors, particularly portable X-ray fluorescence (PXRF) spectrometry, and visible near infrared diffuse reflectance spectroscopy (VisNIR DRS) for soil survey and environmental quality assessment. A considerable component of his research features international engagement in Brazil, China, India, Romania, Italy, and South Africa. Dr. Weindorf and his research team have published more than 170 peer reviewed research papers on topics ranging from classical pedology and proximal sensing applications to optimized land use management techniques. He has been awarded multiple patents for his novel sensor approaches.
* View my ORCiD page by clicking here
- Zhou, S., D.C. Weindorf, Q. Cheng, B. Yang, Z. Yuan, and S. Chakraborty. 2020. Elemental assessment of vegetation via portable X-ray fluorescence: Sample preparation and methodological considerations. Spectrochimica Acta Part B: Atomic Spectroscopy 105999, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sab.2020.105999.
- Zhang, W., J. Sheng, Z. Li, D.C. Weindorf, G. Hu, J. Xuan, and H. Zhao. 2021. Integrating rainwater harvesting and drip irrigation for water use efficiency improvements in apple orchards of northwest China. Scientia Horticulturae 275, 109728.
- Andrade, R., S.H.G. Silva, D.C. Weindorf, S. Chakraborty, W.M. Faria, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2020. Tropical soil order and suborder prediction combining optical and X-ray approaches. Geoderma Regional 23, e00331. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geodrs.2020.e00331.
- Zhou, S., Q. Cheng, D.C. Weindorf, Z. Yuan, B. Yang, Q. Sun, Z. Zhang, J. Yang, and M. Zhao. 2020. Elemental assessment of dried and ground samples of leeches via portable X-ray fluorescence. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry DOI:10.1039/d0ja00328j.
- Gondek, M.D., D.C. Weindorf, C. Thiel, and G. Kleinheinz. 2020. Soluble salts in compost and their effects on soil and plants: A review. Compost Science and Utilization 28(2):59-75. https://doi.org/10.1080/1065657X.2020.1772906
- Acree, A., D.C. Weindorf, L. Paulette, N.V. Gestel, S. Chakraborty, T. Man, C. Jordan, and J.L. Prieto. 2020. Soil classification in Romanian catenas via advanced proximal sensors. Geoderma 377, 114587 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2020.114587.
- Swetha, R.K., P. Bende, K. Singh, S. Gorthi, A. Biswas, B. Li, D.C. Weindorf, and S. Chakraborty. 2020. Predicting soil texture from smartphone-captured digital images and an application. Geoderma 376, 114562.
- Wijewardane, N.K., Y. Ge, N. Sihota, T. Hoelen, T. Miao, and D.C.
Weindorf. 2020. Predicting total petroleum hydrocarbons in field soils with Vis-NIR models developed on lab-constructed samples.
Journal of Environmental Quality DOI: 10.1002/jeq2.20102.
- Gorthi, S., S. Chakraborty, B. Li, and D.C.
Weindorf. A portable acoustic sensing device to measure soil moisture.
Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 105517, DOI:
- Mancini, M., D.C.
Weindorf, M.E.C. Monteiro, A.J.G. de Faria, A.F. dos Santos Teixeira, W. de Lima, F.R.D. de Lima, T.S.B. Dijair, F.D. Marques, D. Ribeiro, S.H.G. Silva, S. Chakraborty, and N. Curi. 2020. From sensor data to Munsell color system: Machine learning algorithm applied to tropical soil color classification via NixPro sensor.
Geoderma 114471, DOI:
- Acree, A., D.C.
Weindorf, J.M. Galbraith, N.A. Jelinski, and L. Paulette. 2020. Characterization of Gelolls in northern Alaska, USA.
Soil Science Society of America Journal DOI: 10.1002/saj2.20064.
- Borges, C.S., D.C.
Weindorf, D.C. Nascimento, N. Curi, L.R.G. Guilherme, G.S. Carvalho, and B.T. Ribeiro. 2020. Comparison of portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry and laboratory-based methods to assess the soil elemental composition:
Applications for wetland soils. Env. Tech. & Innov. 100826, DOI:
- Borges, C.S., D.C.
Weindorf, G.S. Carvalho, L.R.G. Guilherme, T. Takayama, N. Curi, G.J.O. Lima, and B.T. Ribeiro. 2020. Foliar elemental analysis of Brazilian crops via portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry.
Sensors 20, 2509. DOI:10.3390/s20092509.
- Hoffmann, C.A., J.O. Sarturi, D.C.
Weindorf, D.D. Henry, H.A. Ramirez-Ramirez, S. Jackson, M.A. Ballou, M.D. Sandes, and L. Bouyi. 2020. The use of portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry to measure apparent total tract digestibility in beef cattle and sheep.
Journal of Animal Science DOI:10.1093/jas/skaa048.
- Goff, K., R.J. Schaetzl, S. Chakraborty, D.C.
Weindorf, C. Kasmerchak, and E.A. Bettis. 2020. Impact of sample preparation methods for characterizing the geochemistry of soils and sediments by portable X-ray fluorescence.
Soil Science Society of America Journal DOI: 10.1002/saj2.20004.
- Corti, G., S. Cocco, N. Hannachi, V. Cardelli, D.C.
Weindorf, M. Marcellini, and A. Agnelli. 2020. Assessing geomorphological and pedological processes in the genesis of pre-desert soils from southern Tunisia. Catena 187, DOI:
- Gautam, P., J.R. Young, M. Sapkota, S. Longing, and D.C.
Weindorf. 2020. Soil carbon sequestration in bermudagrass golf course fairways in Lubbock, Texas.
Agronomy Journal DOI: 10.1002/agj2.20023.
- Silva, S.H.G., D.C.
Weindorf, L.C. Pinto, W.M. Faria, F.W.A. Junior, L.R. Gomide, J.M. de Mello, A.L. de Pádua Junior, I.A. de Souza, A.F. dos Santos Teixeira, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2020. Soil texture prediction in tropical soils: A portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry approach.
Geoderma 362, DOI:
- dos Santos Teixeira, A.F., M.H.P. Pelegrino, W.M. Faria, S.H.G. Silva, M.G.M. Gonçalves, F.W.A. Junior, L.R. Gomide, A.L.P. Junior, I.A. de Souza, S. Chakraborty, D.C.
Weindorf, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2020. Tropical soil pH and sorption complex prediction via portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry.
Geoderma 361, DOI:
- Mukhopadhyay, S., S. Chakraborty, P.B.S. Bhadoria, B. Li, and D.C.
Weindorf. 2020. Assessment of heavy metal and soil organic carbon by portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry and NixProTM sensor in landfill soils of India.
Geoderma Regional e00249, DOI:
- Sun, F., N. Bakr, T. Dang, V. Pham, D.C.
Weindorf, Z. Jiang, H. Li, and Q. Wang. 2020. Enhanced soil profile visualization using portable X-ray fluorescence (PXRF) spectrometry.
Geoderma 358, DOI:
- Andrade, R., W.M. Faria, S.H.G. Silva, S. Chakraborty, D.C.
Weindorf, L.F. Mesquita, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2020. Prediction of soil fertility via portable X-ray fluorescence (pXRF) spectrometry and soil texture in the Brazilian Coastal Plains.
Geoderma 357, DOI:
- Andrade, R., S.H.G. Silva, D.C.
Weindorf, S. Chakraborty, W.M. Faria, L.F. Mesquita, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2020. Assessing models for prediction of some soil chemical properties from portable X-ray fluorescence (pXRF) spectrometry data in Brazilian Coastal Plains.
Geoderma 357, DOI:
- Taveira, L.R.S., D.C.
Weindorf, M.D. Menezes, T.S. Carvalho, P.E.F. da Motta, A.F.S. Teixeira, and N. Curi. 2019. Land use capability classification adaptation in low and intermediate technology farming systems: A soil erosion indicator.
Soil Use and Management 00:1-17, DOI://doi.org/10.1111/sum.12555.
- Kagiliery, J., S. Chakraborty, A. Acree, D.C.
Weindorf, E.C. Brevik, N.A. Jelinski, B. Li, and C. Jordan. 2019. Rapid quantification of lignite sulfur content: Combining optical and X-ray approaches.
International Journal of Coal Geology 216, DOI:
- Podar, D., K. Macalik, K. Réti, I. Martonos, E. Török, R. Carpa, D.C.
Weindorf, J. Csiszár, and G. Székely. 2019. Morphological, physiological and biochemical aspects of salt tolerance of halophyte Petrosimonia triandra grown in natural habitat.
Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants DOI:
- Zhou, S., Z. Yuan, Q. Cheng, D.C.
Weindorf, Z. Zhang, J. Yang, X. Zhang, G. Chen, and S. Xie. 2019. Rapid analysis of iron and silicon concentrations in iron ore concentrate via portable XRF.
Applied Spectroscopy DOI: 10.1177/0003702819871627.
- Li, J., X. Wan, X. Liu, Y. Chen, L.C. Slaughter, D.C.
Weindorf, and Y. Dong. 2019. Changes in soil physical and chemical characteristics in intensively cultivated greenhouse vegetable fields in North China.
Soil & Tillage Research DOI: doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2019.104366.
- Silva, F.M., D.C.
Weindorf, S.H.G. Silva, E.A. Silva, B.T. Ribeiro, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2019. Tropical soil toposequence characterization via pXRF spectrometry.
Soil Science Society of America Journal DOI:10.2136/sssaj2018.12.0498.
- Mancini, M., D.C.
Weindorf, S.H.G. Silva, S. Chakraborty, A.F.S. Teixeira, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2019. Parent material distribution mapping from tropical soils data via machine learning and portable X-ray fluorescence (pXRF) spectrometry in Brazil.
- de Lima, T.M., D.C.
Weindorf, N. Curi, L.R.G. Guilherme, R.M.Q. Lana, and B.T. Ribeiro. 2019. Elemental analysis of Cerrado agricultural soils via portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry: Inferences for soil fertility assessment.
- Silva, E.A., D.C.
Weindorf, S.H.G. Silva, B.T. Ribeiro, G.C. Poggere, T.S. Carvalho, M.G.M. Gonçalves, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2019. Advances in tropical soil characterization via portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry.
- Cardelli, V., M. DeFeudis, F. Fornasier, L. Massaccesi, S. Cocco, A. Agnelli, D.C.
Weindorf, and G. Corti. 2019. Changes of topsoil under Fagus Sylvatica along a small latitudinal-altitudinal gradient.
- Deb, S., D. Kumar, S. Chakraborty, D.C.
Weindorf, A. Choudhury, P. Banik, D. Deb, P. De, S. Saha, A.K. Patra, M. Majhi, P. Naskar, P. Panda, and A. Hoque. 2019. Comparative carbon stability in surface soils and subsoils under submerged rice and upland non-rice crop ecologies: A physical fractionation study.
- Rawal, A., S. Chakraborty, B. Li, K. Lewis, M. Godoy, L. Paulette, and D.C.
Weindorf. 2019. Determination of base saturation percentage in agricultural soils via portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometer.
- Chakraborty, S., B. Li, D.C.
Weindorf, S. Deb, A. Acree, P. De, and P. Panda. 2019. Use of portable X-ray fluorescence spectrometry for classifying soils from different land use land cover systems in India.
- Acree, A., D.C.
Weindorf, S. Chakraborty, and M. Godoy. 2019. Comparative geochemistry of urban and rural playas in the Southern High Plains.
- Mancini, M., D.C.
Weindorf, S. Chakraborty, S.H.G. Silva, A.F.S. Teixeira, L.R.G. Guilherme, and N. Curi. 2019. Tracing tropical soil parent material analysis via portable X-ray fluorescence (pXRF) spectrometry in Brazilian Cerrado.
- Chakraborty, S., B. Li, D.C.
Weindorf, and C.L.S. Morgan. 2019. External parameter orthogonalisation of Eastern European VisNIR-DRS soil spectra.