Skip to main content

Tax Information

Access 1098-T Form (Cmich login required)

1. What do I do with the 1098-T form?

The 1098-T form serves to alert students that they may be eligible for federal income tax education credits such as the American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Tax credit. 

There is no IRS requirement that you must claim the tuition and fees deduction or an education credit. Claiming education tax benefits is a voluntary decision for those who may qualify.   

While it is a good starting point, the 1098-T, as designed and regulated by the IRS, may not contain all of the information needed to claim a tax credit. Representatives of Student Account Services and University Billing may clarify information about what was reported but are not qualified to provide filing advice. Please consult your tax advisor with questions about eligibility. 

2. Where can I get additional information? 

  • Contact the Internal Revenue Service at (202) 622-2970
  • Visit the IRS website
  • Consult your personal tax advisor