Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions about Business Credit Cards

Find answers to your questions about CMU business credit cards.

    The CMU Business Credit Card is a university liability credit card available to CMU employees as an option to pay for university supplies, equipment, travel and entertainment.

    Any CMU employee responsible for traveling on university business, entertaining guests and/or purchasing supplies is eligible for a CMU Business Credit Card with supervisor or department chair approval.

    No, the CMU Business Credit Card is an option for paying for supplies, travel and entertainment related to university business.

    No, while we encourage employees to use it, for supply and equipment items over $500 employees may process an on-line purchase requisition via the Purchasing Services web site or pay as an NPO. Employees may use their own means to pay for items and then seek reimbursement once per month according to the Payroll & Travel Services reimbursement schedule.

    Employees may still be reimbursed through Payroll & Travel Services, once per month for any allowable business expenses that are incurred from their own funds. The Employee Reimbursement Voucher is used.

    If the overall net of your monthly reimbursement form is more than what is allowed for your expenses then the amount will be deducted from your pay.

    Employees may either pay for these items from their own funds or take out a cash advance (up to $200).

    Itemized receipts are required for all purchases except per diem meals while traveling.

    Employees may spend up to $4,999.00 on a single transaction for supply and/or equipment items with the CMU Business Credit Card. The limit for Travel and Entertainment expenses is determined by what is approved by the department supervisor or chair when the employee applies for the card.

    No. The CMU Business Credit Card is a university credit card to be used only for appropriate university expenses.

    The cardholder and their immediate supervisor, dean or department chair.

    No, each employee is responsible for their travel expenses (except for conference fees and airfare).

    Departments may utilize ActivePay​ to move expenses to various cost centers or GL accounts.

    No, cardholders only have to submit documentation for months with activity.

    Cards not used for an extended period of time (possibly one year) will be eliminated.

    If you are a CMU Business Credit Card holder, please submit out-of-pocket expenses by the 15th of the month using the business card reconciliation form.

    Please contact Purchasing (989) 774-3929, to see if there is a possible discount savings in using a purchase order.

    The billing period, also known as the statement period is from the 25th of the current month to the 24th of the following month. (i.e. July 25th - August 24th ). If the 24th falls on a weekend the statement period will end on the following Monday.