HIPAA for Individuals Frequently Asked Questions
Below you'll find answers to common questions about HIPAA and privacy concerns.
If a student is seen at a CMU clinic does the HIPAA Privacy Rule apply?
- No, if a student is seen at a CMU Clinic, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) rules will apply. FERPA is a federal law that protects the privacy of student records.
- For more information regarding FERPA, please visit U.S. Department of Education.
How can I report a HIPAA incident or file a complaint?
- If you need to report an incident or file a complaint, you may use EthicsPoint, reach out to the Office of HIPAA Compliance or any CMU HIPAA contact.
What are my patient rights under HIPAA?
- If you would like to learn more regarding how CMU uses your health information, please visit CMU's Notice of Privacy Practices page.
- For more information regarding your patient rights, please visit the Office of Health and Human Services: Patient Rights.
Who do I contact if I have question about HIPAA?
- Please contact the Office of HIPAA Compliance.
- Phone: 989-774-2829
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org