Skip to main content

J-1 Student Intern

Learn about CMU's Exchange Visitor Program option for J-1 Student Interns.

Eligibility for J-1 student interns

Student interns requirements:

  • Be currently "enrolled in and pursuing a degree at an accredited postsecondary academic institution outside the United States." [22 CFR 62.23(i)].
  • The U.S. internship must "fulfill the educational objectives for his or her current degree program at his or her home institution." [22 CFR 62.23(i)]
  • Have "verifiable English language skills sufficient to function on a day-to-day basis in the internship environment." [22 CFR 62.23(i)(1)(i)]
  • Be "primarily in the United States to engage in a student internship program rather than to engage in employment or provide services to an employer." [22 CFR 62.23(i)(1)(ii)]
  • Be "accepted into a student internship program at the postsecondary accredited academic institution listed on his or her Form DS-2019." [22 CFR 62.23(i)(1)(iii); [22 CFR 62.23(d)]
  • Be "in good academic standing" at his or her home institution outside the United States. [22 CFR 62.23(i)(1)(iv)]
  • The student must return to his or her academic program outside the United States "and fulfill and obtain a degree from such academic institution after completion of the student internship program." [22 CFR 62.23(i)(1)(v)]
  • Have "sufficient finances to support himself or herself and dependents for their entire stay in the United States, including housing and living expenses." [22 CFR 62.23(i)(2)(ii)]

Financial support

J-1 scholars are required to show adequate proof of financial support throughout their program. A minimum of $20,000 per year for the J-1 scholar and then $5,000 per year for each J-dependent (spouse or child) and each dependent must be documented if they will be joining the Exchange Visitor.‚Äč If the exchange visitor is at CMU less than 1 year, the financial support requirements are prorated by month.

Health insurance requirements 

Federal regulations require that all Exchange Visitors maintain health insurance coverage for the entirety of their program. The university is not required to pay for the insurance coverage but must ensure that the visitor and all accompanying dependents have valid coverage while in the United States.

All J-1 students are automatically enrolled in CMU’s health insurance plan with GeoBlue. For additional information visit our insurance page here. The insurance plan meets all the requirements of the federal regulations.

Arrival and housing arrangements

The academic department or college inviting an exchange visitor is responsible for planning for the student’s travel to campus and any necessary housing reservations. If the student will require on-campus housing, see additional information at

For further information please reach out by phone at 989-774-4308.