Hispanic Heritage Month (English)
The meaning of knowledge
What is knowledge?
Knowledge is the action and effect of knowing, that is, of acquiring valuable information to understand reality through reason, understanding and intelligence. It refers, then, to what results from a learning process.
Knowledge can be referred to in various ways. In its most general sense, the word knowledge refers to the accumulated information on a certain topic or subject. In a more specific sense, knowledge is defined as the set of abilities, skills, mental processes and information acquired by the individual, whose function is to help her interpret reality, solve problems and direct her behavior.
The word knowledge comes from the Latin cognoscere, formed by the prefix con, which means 'all' or 'together', and the word gnoscere.
As a phenomenon, knowledge has been studied since Classical Antiquity, and it is an important area within philosophical, psychological and scientific studies in general.
Characteristics and properties of knowledge
- Knowledge is always cultural, that is, it shapes culture.
- Knowledge is usually capable of being expressed and transmitted through language.
- In this sense, knowledge is codified, that is, it requires a code or language for its communication.
- It guides the thinking, behavior and decision-making processes of human beings.
- It is a complex phenomenon determined by biological, psychological and social variables.
2022 Events: September 15—October 15
- 9/15 - Keynote Speaker, Bovee UC 302 Auditorium, 6pm
- 9/16 - La Gente Welcome Back Carne Asada, Wesley Church, 6pm
- 9/19 - Our History: Raggaeton Music, Center for Student Inclusion and Diversity, Bovee UC 108, 6pm
- 9/20 - Film: Under the Same Moon, Bovee UC Auditorium 302, 6pm
- 9/22 - Zumba, MAC Gym, 6pm
- 9/23 - Arroz Around the World, Wesley Church, 3pm
- 9/24 - Low-Rider Car Show, Location TBD, 12-3pm
- 9/27 - Game Night: Loteria (Mexican Bingo), Center for Student Inclusion and Diversity, Bovee UC 108, 6pm
- 9/28 - Guest Speaker, Opperman Auditorium - Park Library, 6:30pm
- 10/3 - Make Homemade Tortillas, Student Activity Center 204, 6pm
- 10/6 - Activity: Papel Picado (Mexcian Folk Art), Center for Student Inclusion and Diversity, Bovee UC 108, 6pm
- 10/7 - Annual Career Awareness Information Session, Bovee UC Auditorium 302, 2pm
- 10/10 - Our History: Bachata Music, Center for Student Inclusion and Diversity, Bovee UC 108, 6pm
- 10/12 - Our History: Ballet Folklorico, Powers Ballroom, 6:30pm
- 10/13 - Latine Social Night: Music, Dancing and Fun!, MAC Gym, 6pm
10/14 - La Fogata y Legendas Urbanas, Wesley Church, 6pm