Skip to main content

In Summary

If you intend to:

send certain items to certain foreign persons, institutions, or countries, or

travel to certain  foreign institutions or countries, or

enter into business agreements with certain foreign entities, or

invite certain  foreign persons to visit the university,

... then  you may need a license from a government agency.

Certain  means being on one of the lists maintained by the Department of Commerce, the Department of State, or the Department of the Treasury.

The lists should be consulted before taking any actions or committing university funds involving foreign persons, entities, or countries.

The Office of Research Compliance can assist faculty and staff in checking the lists. Contact us at

Updated 9/26/2021
Report a Research Concern