Skip to main content

Student Records and Policies

The Registrar's Office maintains your student records. Below you'll find information about how to request changes or updates to your records, verify your enrollment and confirm your residency status.

Changing or correcting your name, Social Security Number or date of birth

You will need to submit the correct form below, along with documentation to make any changes.

Updating your address

You are responsible for maintaining a current and correct mailing address with the Registrar's Office for official university correspondence.

Our system can maintain up to two addresses for you: a permanent one and a local address.

The permanent address is initially taken from your Application for Admission. You may change this address as needed.

The local address is the address where you are currently residing. If you receive financial aid, it is important to have a correct local address on file as soon as possible.

Billing statements and other official university correspondence are sent via email to your CMU email account. If you need assistance with setting up your email account, contact the Help Desk at 989-774-3662.

Failure to receive university mailings shall not constitute a basis for an exception from university policies.

Enrollment verification

Current semester

You can access your current semester verification through the National Student Clearing House

Verifying your enrollment lets you:

  • Obtain an enrollment certificate to process as needed.
  • Check your enrollment history.
  • View student loan deferment notifications sent to health insurers and other providers.
  • View information about student loans.

Future semester

You may obtain a "Letter of Intent" verifying you have registered at CMU for that semester. To obtain a Letter of Intent as a CMU student, you will need to contact the Registrar's Office by email at or phone 989-774-3261.

Residency status information

Effective Fall 2018, undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students who are United States (U.S.) residents shall qualify for in-state tuition rates. This does not apply to specialty programs with unique tuition rates. To determine resident status by Central Michigan University (CMU), “domicile” is defined as the place where an individual intends his/her true, fixed, and permanent home and principal establishment to be, and to which the individual intends to return whenever he or she is absent from CMU. The individual must demonstrate “domicile” within the U.S. as a U.S. citizen, or proven “domicile” in the defined territories, or outlying possessions, of the U.S. subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S. This policy is designed to explain how a student may demonstrate the required intent and establishment of domicile as defined prior.

An individual whose activities and circumstances, as documented to CMU, demonstrate that he or she has established a U.S. domicile and intends to be domiciled in the U.S. will be eligible for classification as a resident. An individual whose presence in the U.S. is based on activities and circumstances that are indeterminate or temporary, such as (but not limited to) educational pursuits, will be presumed not to be domiciled. The burden of proof is on the applicant to demonstrate with clear and convincing evidence that he or she is eligible for resident classification under this policy.

To overcome a presumption of nonresident status, a student must file a prop­erly completed Application for Resident Status and document with clear and convincing evidence domicile in the U.S. has been established. Furthermore, CMU reserves the right to audit enrolled or prospective students at any time concerning the eligibility for resident classification and to reclassify students who are registered under an improper resident status.

Current applicants

Please contact admissions processing with any questions about your resident status or tuition rate.

For questions about a change in resident status, please contact:

Keith Malkowski
CMU Registrar
Phone: 989-774-3261

To have the Resident Status Application mailed to you, send your name and postal address to:

CMU Registrar
Warriner Hall 212
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859

Documents of Apostille

The US Department of State describes this process as being used by one country to denote to another country that a document being sent is now "authenticated" or "legalized" so that it can be recognized as valid in the foreign country. The apostille is actually a sealed certificate that confirms the authority of a public official, notary public, etc., and their right to act in a particular capacity in connection with a document that he or she has signed. In the US, this charge is given to the individual states, and in Michigan, the Secretary of State is the custodian of the Great Seal which is applied to such documents and has the ability to verify the legitimacy of individual notary publics within Michigan.