Skip to main content

Veteran Award

Consideration for the Central Michigan University Veteran Award is available to honorably discharged veterans from the U.S. Military Service who have regular admission as an undergraduate or graduate in one of CMU’s on-campus, off-campus or online standard degree programs.

Award criteria and application

Award criteria

Please read before completing the application.

The CMU Veteran Award is a need-based award for eligible Veterans who have been admitted to CMU after August 16, 2016.

Students who are already receiving a discounted tuition rate are not eligible for this award.

Eligibility is based on the student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

A current-year FAFSA must be received by CMU before the Veteran Award Application is submitted. 

  • Monitor receipt of the FAFSA via Central Link under Finances – select Financial Aid (FA) Status Page.
The amount of an award will vary dependent on EFC and grade level.

  • Undergraduates with an EFC of 0 to 5940 may qualify
  • Graduates with an EFC of 0 to 4428 may qualify
Students must maintain enrollment requirements each semester to retain the award:

  • Undergraduate enrollment per semester is 9 credit hours or more
  • Graduate enrollment per semester is 6 credit hours or more
Enrollment will be verified at the time of the award.

Eligible students will be awarded for the semester in which the application is received; the award cannot be backdated to a prior semester.

Dropping without tuition charges, after the award is credited to the student account, will result in the reversal of the award for the semester.  This may result in a bill back to your student account. 

Dropping below the minimum credit hour requirement or withdrawing from classes during the semester will result in the loss of eligibility for the Veteran Award in the subsequent semester.

Students must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards for Federal Student Financial Aid regardless of whether or not financial aid is being used.  Click here to learn more about S.A.P.  

How to apply

  • You must be a current Central Michigan University student to apply for this scholarship.
  • Students must apply annually for this award.
  • File the most recent Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Make sure your EFC qualifies for application.
  • Register for classes, making sure you meet the minimum enrollment requirement for your grade level.
  • Complete the Veteran Award Application
    • Provide a copy of your DD-214 member-4 copy verifying honorable discharge or,
    • documentation from the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs indicating eligibility for educational benefits. 
    • Attach documentation to the application. 
    • Do not send copies via email or FAX. 

Due dates for Fall and Spring semesters

  • October 1 for Fall only or Fall and Spring enrollment
  • February 1 for Spring only enrollment 
  • June 1 for Summer enrollment

Follow this link to log in with your CMU credentials to complete the Veterans Award application:

Complete th​​​e Vet​eran Award Application​