Dr. Chanseok Jeong has extensive research experience in wave propagation analyses, computational mechanics, and large-scale inverse problems. Dr. Jeong has been awarded a National Science Foundation (NSF) grant ‘Full-waveform inversion of seismic input motions in a truncated domain’ (CMMI-1855406) as a sole PI starting from April 2019 for 2 years.
Prior to joining CMU in Fall 2020, he has taught five undergraduate and five graduate courses in the areas of finite element method (FEM), solid mechanics, experimental programming, engineering mathematics, and numerical methods at Catholic University of America (CUA) from 2013 to 2020. He has also taught a course on computer programming at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) from 2011 to 2013. He has received excellent teaching evaluations in all of his courses at CUA and UCLA. In May of 2020, he received the Charles H. Kaman Award for Teaching Excellence, which is given annually by the School of Engineering at CUA to award an outstanding faculty member.
He has advised research of a number of graduate and undergraduate students at CUA (2013-2020) and University of California, Los Angeles (2011-2013).
More about Chanseok Jeong
Publications & Presentations
- (2023) F. Pranto, S. Maharjan, and C. Jeong, Level-set and Learn: Convolutional neural network for classification of elements to detect multiple voids in a 2D plane strain solid using elastic waves, Journal of Engineering Mechanics (Q1, IF = 3.1), Volume 149, ASCE.
- (2023) B. Guidio, H. Goh, and C. Jeong, Effective seismic force retrieval from surface measurement for SH-wave reconstruction, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering (Q1, IF = 4.3), Volume 165, Elsevier.
- (2023) S. Lloyd, C. Schaal, and C. Jeong, Inverse modeling and experimental validation for reconstructing wave sources on a 2D solid from surficial measurement, Ultrasonics (Q1, IF = 4.1), Volume 128, Elsevier.
- (2023) B. Guidio,B. Nam, and C. Jeong, Multi-level Genetic Algorithm (GA)-based acoustic-elastodynamic imaging of coupled fluid-solid media to detect an underground cavity, Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering (Q1, IF = 6.3), Volume 37, ASCE.
- (2022) S. Marharjan, B. P. Guidio, A. Fathi, and C. Jeong, Deep and convolutional neural networks for identifying an incident seismic wave in heterogeneous soil columns, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering (Q1, IF = 4.3), Volume 162, Elsevier.
- (2022) S. Lloyd and C. Jeong, Identifying Moving Vibrational Sources in a Truncated, Damped, Heterogeneous Solid, International Journal of Computational Methods (Q2, IF = 1.7), World Scientific.
- (2022) B. Guidio, B. Jeremic, L. Guidio, and C. Jeong, Passive seismic inversion of SH wave input motions in a truncated domain, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering (Q1, IF = 4.3), Vol. 158, Elsevier.
- (2021) B. Guidio and C. Jeong, Full-waveform inversion of incoherent dynamic traction in a bounded 2D domain of scalar wave motions, Journal of Engineering Mechanics (Q1, impact factor (IF) = 3.1), Vol. 147, Issue 4, ASCE.
- (2021) B. Guidio and C. Jeong, On the feasibility of simultaneous identification of a material property of a Timoshenko beam and a moving vibration source, Engineering Structures (Q1, IF = 4.5), Vol. 227, Elsevier.
- (2019) C. Jeong, A. J. A. Manalaysay, H. Nath Gharti, S. Guan, and J. Vignola, Applicability of spectral-element method for computing close-range underwater piling noises, Journal of Theoretical and Computational Acoustics, Vol. 27, Issue 4, World Scientific.
- (2019) S. Lloyd, C. Jeong, H. N. Gharti, J. Vignola, and J. Tromp, Spectral-element simulations of acoustic waves induced by a moving underwater source, Journal of Theoretical and Computational Acoustics, Vol. 27, Issue 3, World Scientific. 15.
- (2018) S. Lloyd and C. Jeong, Adjoint equation-based inverse-source modeling to re- construct moving acoustic sources in a 1D heterogeneous solid, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 144, Issue 9, ASCE.
- (2018) C. Jeong and E. Esmaeilzadeh Seylabi, Seismic input motion identification in a heterogeneous halfspace, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 144, Issue 8, ASCE.
- (2018) E. Esmaeilzadeh Seylabi, C. Jeong, S. Dashti, A. Hushmand, and E. Taciroglu, Seismic response of buried reservoir structures: a comparison of numerical simulations with centrifuge experiments, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 109, pp. 89-101, Elsevier.
- (2018) S. F. Ghahari, F. Abazarsa, C. Jeong, A. Kurtulus, and E. Taciroglu, Blind Identification of Site Effects and Bedrock Motions from Surface Response Signals, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 107, pp. 322-331, Elsevier.
- (2017) C. Jeong, A. Peixoto, A. Aquino, S. Lloyd, and S. Arhin, On a Genetic Algorithm (GA)-based inverse-source approach to detect moving vibration sources of an arbitrary number, Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Volume 31, Issue 5, ASCE, 2017.
- (2017) E. Esmaeilzadeh Seylabi, C. Jeong, and E. Taciroglu, Modal and nodal impedance functions for truncated semi-infinite soil domains, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering (accepted as is), Elsevier, Volume 92, pp. 192–202, 2017.
- (2017) C. Jeong and L. F. Kallivokas, An inverse-source problem for maximization of pore-fluid oscillation within poroelastic formations, Inverse Problems in Science and Engineering, Taylor & Francis, Volume 25(6), pp. 832—863, 2017.
- (2016) E. Esmaeilzadeh Seylabi, C. Jeong, and E. Taciroglu, On numerical computation of impedance functions for rigid soil-structure interfaces embedded in heterogeneous half- spaces, Computers and Geotechnics, Elsevier, Vol. 72, pp.15–27, 2016.
- (2016) S. Lloyd, C. Jeong, and M. Okutsu, Numerical investigation on the feasibility of estimating the thickness of Europa’s ice shell by a planned impact, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, ASCE, Volume 29, Issue 3, 2016.
- (2015) C. Jeong, L. F. Kallivokas, S. Kucukcoban, W. Deng and A. Fathi, Maximization of wave motion within a hydrocarbon reservoir for wave-based enhanced oil recovery, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Elsevier, Vol 129, pp. 205–220, 2015.
- (2013) J. Jung, C. Jeong, and E. Taciroglu, Identification of scatterers embedded in elastic media using dynamic XFEM, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Elsevier, Vol. 259, pp. 50–63, 2013.
- (2011) C. Jeong, C. Huh, and L. F. Kallivokas, On the feasibility of inducing oil mobilization in existing reservoirs via wellbore harmonic fluid action, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Elsevier, Vol. 76, pp. 116–123, 2011.
- (2010) C. Jeong, L. F. Kallivokas, C. Huh, and L. W. Lake, Optimization of sources for focusing wave energy in targeted formations, Journal of Geophysics and Engineering, IOP publishing, Vol. 7, Issue 3, pp. 242–256, 2010.
- (2009) C. Jeong, S.-W. Na, and L. F. Kallivokas, Near-surface localization and shape identification of a scatterer embedded in a halfplane using scalar waves, Journal of Computational Acoustics, World Scientific, Vol. 17, Issue 3, pp. 277–308, 2009.
- (2008) C. Jeong and L. F. Kallivokas, Inverse scatterer reconstruction in a halfplane using surficial SH line sources, Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences, Tech Science, Vol. 35, Issue 1, pp. 49–71,
- Postdoc, University of California, Los Angeles, 2011-2013
- Ph.D., The University of Texas at Austin, 2011
- M.S., The University of Texas at Austin, 2006
- B.S., Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea, 2003
- Structural Dynamics and Wave Propagation Analysis:
- Wave propagation analyses in solid, poroelastic solid, acoustic fluid, or coupled media.
- Wave-absorbing boundary.
- Computational Mechanics:
- Finite element method (FEM).
- Extended finite element method (XFEM).
- Boundary element method (BEM).
- Spectral Element Method (SEM).
- Inverse Problems in Science and Engineering:
- Inverse-source problems.
- Inverse-scattering problems.
- Inverse-medium problems.
- Non-destructive evaluation (NDE).