Associate Professor and Director of the Health Administration Division
Dr. Zikos is an Associate Professor, and Director of the Health Administration division at The Herbert H. and Grace A, Dow College of Health Professions at Central Michigan University. Dr. Zikos holds a Ph.D. and master’s degree in Health Informatics and a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing from the University of Athens, Greece. His research involves clinical and administrative informatics, clinical statistics and data mining, healthcare delivery and clinical care policies for decision making. He came to the United States as a full-time visiting professor to help the University of Texas at Arlington develop new curricula in Health Informatics. During that time, he served as research faculty in the Human Centered Computing Lab (heracleia.uta.edu), supervising undergraduate students under the National Science Foundation’s “Research Experiences for Undergraduates” program. Dr. Zikos has been co-principal investigator and senior investigator of National Science Foundation-funded projects. He is a scientific committee member of an annual international National Science Foundation-sponsored conference PETRA (Pervasive Technologies Related to Assistive Environments). He has served as program committee member, editor of the conference proceedings and workshops chair. In the past, Dr. Zikos was researcher and project manager in large scale European Union multi-country e-health projects and partner with an accreditation and research center in Greece for the European Union Network for Patient Safety. This research resulted in translational guidelines for health professionals and the public on patient safety. He was also a senior researcher in RN4CAST, the largest European nursing study conducted to date in Europe, with significant impact on the nursing workforce and policy planning. While in Greece, he also served as an elected executive committee member of the Greek Nursing Studies Association (2010–2012) and was an external collaborator of the Centre for Health Services Management & Evaluation (CHESME). During the academic year 2010-11, Dr. Zikos was visiting faculty of a nursing degree simulation program, which was organized by the Cyprus University of Technology, where he taught health informatics courses. He is also the author of numerous peer-reviewed journal and conference papers.
Publications & Presentations
- Kato M, Zikos D. Association between Hospital Accrediting Agencies and Hospital Outcomes of Care in the United States. Journal of Hospital Management and Health Policy J Hosp Manag Health Policy 2021. https://dx.doi.org/10.21037/jhmhp-21-24.
- Shrestha A, Zikos D, Fegaras L. An Annotated Association Mining Approach for Extracting and Visualizing Interesting Clinical Events. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2021; 148: 104366.
- Zikos D, Shrestha, Fegaras L. A Cross-Sectional Study of Inpatient Mortality for Medicare Patients based on the combined use of HCUP Tools. Journal of Healthcare Informatics Research; 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41666-021-00091-x.
- Zikos D, Ragina N, Strong O. Enhancing medical education with data-driven software: TrainCoMorb app. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2020 26; 272:83-86 [I-F 0.44].
- Zikos D. Afolayan-Oloye O. Association between depressive disorder and hospital outcomes of care for elderly hospitalized patients. Ageing International (2021).
- Tacconelli S, Delellis N, Ankomah S, Nowak A, Zikos D. Health Administration Graduates: Responsibilities Expected by Michigan Employers. The Journal of Health Administration Education. 2020; 36(4): 335-238.
- Zikos D, DeLellis N. CDSS-RM: a clinical decision support system reference model. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2018 Nov 16;18(1):137. DOI: 10.1186/s12874-018-0587-6.
- Zikos D, Graziano M, Massaria K, DeLellis N. Multifactorial Analysis to Examine Drivers of CMS Summary Star Ratings in Home Health Agencies. Home Health Care Services Quarterly.
- Zikos D, Ogunneye Y, Delellis N, Ivanitskaya L. Association Between Rate of Diabetes and Quality of Patient Care in Home Health Agencies. Home Health Care Management & Practice. 2019.31(2): 113-9.
- Resslar M, Ivanitskaya L, Perez M, Zikos D. Sources of variability in the coding of postoperative ileus. Health Information Management Journal. 2018; DOI: 10.1177/1833358318781106.
- Shrestha A, Zikos D, Fegaras L. Seasonality of discrepancies between admission and discharge diagnosis for Medicare patients. Technologies 2018, 6, 111; doi:10.3390/technologies6040111.
- Zikos D, Diomidous M, Mpletsa V. The effect of an electronic documentation system on the trauma patient's length of stay in an emergency department. J Emerg Nurs. 2014; 40(5):469–75. DOI: 10.1016/j.jen.2013.10.008.
- Squires A, Aiken LH, van den Heede K, Sermeus W, Bruyneel L, Lindqvist R, Schoonhoven L, Stromseng I, Busse R, Brzostek T, Ensio A, Moreno-Casbas M, Rafferty AM, Schubert M, Zikos D, Matthews A. A systematic survey instrument translation process for multi-country, comparative health workforce studies. Int J Nurs Stud. 2013; 50(2):264–73. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.02.015.
- Lema E, Zikos D, Vlachos GP. Linking causal factors and the human element in maritime accidents, using K-means clustering. Int J Risk Assessment and Management.
- Zikos D, Galatas G, Metsis V, Makedon F. A web ontology for brain trauma patient computer-assisted rehabilitation. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013; 190:100–2.
- Ausserhofer D, Zander B, Busse R et al, on behalf of the RN4CAST consortium: [Zikos D, Matthews A, Staines A, et al]. Prevalence, patterns, and predictors of nursing care left undone in European hospitals: results from the multicountry cross-sectional RN4CAST study. BMJ Qual Saf. 2013.
- Anastopoulos G, Ekonomou C, Zikos D, Kouli E, Siskou O, Lemonidou C, Kaitelidou D. [Accessibility & use of health services in Greece by Albanian immigrants]. Nursing Care & Research. 2013; 7(37): 231–40.
- Diomidous M, Zikos D. Distributed and grid computing projects with a research focus in human health. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2012; 174:1 16–20.
- Aiken L, Sermeus W, Van den Heede K, Sloane D, Busse R, McKee M, Bruyneel L, Smith H, Kutney-Lee A, Rafferty AM, Griffiths P, Moreno-Casbas M, Tishelman C, Scott A, Brzostek T, Kinnunen J, Schwendimann R, Heinen M, Zikos D, Sjetne I. Patient safety, satisfaction, and quality of hospital care: Cross-sectional surveys of nurses and patients in 12 countries in Europe and the United States. BMJ 2012; 344: e1717. doi: 10.1136/bmj.e1717.
- Squires A, Bruyneel L, Aiken L, Van den Heede K, Brzostek T, Busse R, Ensio A, Schubert M, Zikos D, Sermeus W. Cross-cultural evaluation of the relevance of the HCAHPS survey in five European countries. Int J Qual Health Care. 2012; 24(5):470–5. DOI: 10.1093/intqhc/mzs040.
- Sermeus W, Aiken L, van den Heede K, Rafferty AM, Griffiths P, Moreno-Casbas T, Busse R, Tishelman C, Scott A, Bruyneel L, Brzostek T, Kinnunen J, Schubert M, Schoonhoven L, Zikos D and RN$CAST consortium. Nurse forecasting in Europe (RN4CAST): Rationale, design and methodology. BMC Nursing 2011; 10(1):6. doi:10.1186/1472-6955-10-6.
- Liaskos J, Frigas A, Antypas K, Zikos D, Diomidous M, Mantas J. Promoting interprofessional education in the health sector within the European Interprofessional Education Network. Int J Med Inform. 2009; 78 Suppl 1: S43–7. Epub 2008 Sep 21.
- Jurewicz J, Kouimintzis D, Burdorf A, Hanke W, Chatzis C, Linos A. On behalf of the DIRERAF partners: Linos A, Chatzis C, Zikos D, Kouimintzis D, Hronopoulou E, Kotsioni I, Papageorgiou E, Nofer Institute of Occupational Medicine, Lodz, International Centre for Pesticides and Health Risk Prevention, Institut Municipal d’Investigacio Medical, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, Dresden University of Technology, Charles University of Prague, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Medical University of Sofia, Institute of Rural Health, Bratislava. Occupational risk factors for work-related disorders in greenhouse workers. J Publ Health. 2007; 15(4): 265–77.
- Linos A, Chatzis C, Zikos D, Kouimintzis D, Maroni M, Colosio C, Fait A, Mammone T, Bencko V, Burdorf A, Sulkova M, Hanke W, Kauppinen K, Kirch W, Fuchs A, Schmitt N, Kogevinas M, Kotsioni I. Development of public health indicators for reporting environmental/occupational risks related to agriculture and fishery. Eur J Public Health. 2006; Vol. 16, Supplement 1: 191–2.
- PhD, Health Informatics, University of Athens, Greece
- MSc, Health Informatics, University of Athens, Greece
- BS, Nursing, University of Athens, Greece
- Data-driven clinical and administrative decision making
- Health analytics
- Data-driven medical education simulation systems and technologies
- Population health and epidemiology
- HSC 500: Health Informatics
- HSC 572: Quality Improvements
- MHA 603: Health Informatics and Quality Improvements
- DHA 722: Health Informatics
- DHA 706: Quantitative Analysis in Health Organization