More about John Daniels
Publications & Presentations
- (2009) “Arsenic in Michigan Soil: Spatial Stratification for Environmental Regulatory Purposes”. With P. Kinnicutt, Soil and Sediment Contamination: An International Journal, Volume 18, Issue 6 Nov-Dec 2009.
- (2013) “The 20/30 Game Winner: An Endangered/Extinct Species”. With Steve Kuehl, The Baseball Research Journal, Fall 2013.
- (2017) Daniels, J., Studies shown that …how to read a statistical study Teaching Statistics, Volume 39, Issue 3, pp. 75-78.
- (2018) Daniels, J., McKean, J., Willermet, C., Edgar, H., Robust Estimator of Grade Differences: a new statistical solution to an old categorical data problem, Chapter 4, Cambridge University Press.
- (2018) Daniels, J., Hooley, D., Andrasik, S., The Specialized Bullpen: History, Analysis, and Strategic Models for Success, The Baseball Research Journal, Fall 2018.
- (2004) Daniels, J. “Where have you gone Carl Yastrzemski? Statistical Analysis of Baseball’s Batting Triple Crown.” Presented at the Joint Meetings of the American Statistical Association in Toronto, Canada.
- (2005) Daniels, J., “The Central Limit Theorem: A Group Activity to Die For!” Presented poster at the United States Conference on Teaching Statistics (USCOTS), Columbus, OH
- (2006) Daniels, J., “An Objective Scoring Method for Graded Count Variables with Applications to Olympics, Baseball, and Medicine”. Presented at the Joint Meetings of the American Statistical Association in Seattle, WA.
- (2007) Daniels, J., “The Bi-Modal Raisin”, Presented poster at the United States Conference on Teaching Statistics (USCOTS), Columbus, OH.
- (2008) Daniels, J., “A Statistical Analysis of Baseball’s Batting Triple Crown; Past, Present, and Future.” Presented poster at the Society of American Baseball Research convention (SABR38) in Cleveland, OH June 26, 2008.
- (2013) Daniels, J., “The 20/30 Game Winner: An Endangered/Extinct Species”. Presented at the Jack Graney Chapter of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR), Cleveland, OH.
- (2014) Daniels, J., The 20/30 Game Winner: An Endangered/Extinct Species”, presented at the Joint Meetings of the American Statistical Association in Boston, MA, August, 2014.
- (2016) Daniels, J., Robust Variogram Fitting Using Non-Linear Rank Based Estimators”, presented at the International Conference on Statistical Distributions and Applications (ICOSDA2016), Niagara Falls, ON, October 2016.
Credentials, Certifications & Awards
External grant awards
- (2007) “Long-term Undergraduate Research Experience (LURE)”, National Science Foundation. PIs Ken Smith and Sivaram Narayan. Senior Investigators John Daniels, Mohan Shrikhande, Azita Manouchehri, James Angelos, Doug Lapp, Sid Graham, Katrina Piatek-Jimenez, and Dennis St. John. Amount: $595,501
- (2006) “Research Experience for Undergraduates”, National Science Foundation. PIs Ken Smith and Sivaram Narayan. Senior Investigators John Daniels and Sid Graham. Amount: $175,427
- (2004) “Statistical Analysis of Education Student Survey”, National Science Learning in Teacher Education Partnership. Amount: $1,600
- Ph.D., Statistics, Western Michigan University, 2003
- M.S., Industrial Administration, Purdue University, 1987
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, General Motors Institute, 1984
- Spatial Statistics
- Environmental Statistics
- Teaching of Statistics
- Robust Statistics
- Analysis of Baeball Data
Membership in Professional Organizations
- American Statistical Association
- Society of American Baseball Research
- Applied Statistical Methods
- Linear Models
- Analysis of Variance
- Logistic Regression
- Non-Linear Regression
- Data Mining
- Introductory Probability and Statistics
- Theory of Linear Models
- Survival Analysis