Professor and Director of the Master of Public Health Program
Joseph Inungu is a professor of global health in the School of Health Sciences at Central Michigan University (CMU). He is the founding Director of the Master of Public Health Program at CMU. Before joining CMU, he served as the Director of socio-behavioral research for the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) in Southern Africa. IAVI is a New York-based non-governmental organization specializing in HIV vaccine research. Prior to joining IAVI, he worked as the Regional Researcher for Population Services International (PSI) in West and Central Africa. He provided technical assistance and oversaw the design and implementation of social marketing research in 6 African countries including Benin, Burkina Faso, DR Congo, Liberia. Nigeria, and Senegal dealing with the prevention of HIV/AIDS and Malaria, reproductive health, water, sanitation and hygiene. He conducted program evaluations and capacity building in conducting research in participating countries. Dr. Inungu authored more than 40 articles in peer-reviewed journals and presented several papers at national and international conferences. He co-authored the textbook titled Foundation of Rural Public Health in America published by Jones & Barlett Learning in 2022. He holds a Masters and a Doctor of Public health from Tulane University School of Public Health and a Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Kinshasa in DR Congo.
Dr. Inungu is married to Lucy Inungu. They have 3 children (Lassal, Lys, and Danielle). He likes music, spiritual readings, and world politics.
More About JOSEPH INUNGU
Publications & Presentations
- Okonji AI, Inungu JN, Akinmoladun TM, Kushion ML, Aduse-Poku L. Factors Associated with Depression Among Immigrants in the U.S. J Immigr Minor Health. 2021 Jun;23(3):415-424. doi: 10.1007/s10903-021-01141-7. Epub 2021 Feb 5. PMID: 33544291.
- Tamuzi JL, Ayele BT, Shumba CS, Adetokunboh OO, Uwimana-Nicol J, Haile ZT, Inungu J, Nyasulu PS. Implications of COVID-19 in high burden countries for HIV/TB: A systematic review of evidence. BMC Infect Dis. 2020 Oct 9;20(1):744. doi: 10.1186/s12879-020-05450-4.
- Iheduru-Anderson, K. C., Agomoh, C. J., & Inungu, J. (2020). “African Born Black Nurses’ perception of their U.S. Work Environment: Race Matters.” Nursing Outlook. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2020.11.009.
- Iheduru-Anderson, K. C., Akanegbu, C. O., & Inungu, J. (2020). “Outsiders in Nursing - Voices of Black African Born Nurses & Students in the US: An Integrative Review.” The Open Nursing Journal. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874434602014010120.
- Ilunga TD, Whembolua GL, Nduka U, Muvuka B, Hill A, Inungu JN. Correlates of HIV testing among men from the Democratic Republic of Congo: an analysis of the 2014 Demographic Health Survey. AIDS Care. 2019 Dec 17:1-5. doi: 10.1080/09540121.2019.1703887.
- Joseph Inungu, Kechi Iheduru-Anderson,and Ossam J Odio. Recurrent Ebolavirus disease in the Democratic Republic of Congo: update and challenges. AIMS Public Health , 2019, 6(4): 502-513. doi: 10.3934/publichealth.2019.4.502. https://www.aimspress.com/fileOther/PDF/aimsph/publichealth-06-04-502.pdf.
- Inungu JN, Ankiba N, Ndeke JM, Onema W, Bolekela D, et al. (2018) School-based Distribution of Long-Lasting Insecticide-Treated Bed Nets in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Malaria Contr Elimination 7: 162. DOI: 10.4172/24706965.1000158.
- Guddappa JS, Jahanfar S, Inungu J and Ragina N. Factors Associated with Human Papilloma virus Vaccination among White-American Females. SM Vaccine. 2018, 4(1): 1021.
- Dolapo Raji, Shayesteh Jahanfar, J. Inungu (2018). Body Mass Index among Adult Twins: The Importance of Sex Pairing. Clinical Research in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 1 (2): 1-8.
- Joseph N Inungu, Nestor Ankiba, Jonas M Ndeke, Willy Onema, Dido Bolekela and Bienvenu Mukoso (2018) School-based Distribution of Long-Lasting Insecticide-Treated Bed Nets in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Malaria Contr Elimination 2018, Vol 7(1): 158. DOI: 10.4172/2470-6965.1000158.
- Shayesteh Jahanfar, Ontell E. Babbitta, Sapha Hassan, Jodi Fihser Brooker, Jeff Inungu (2018) The efficacy of tobacco cessation interventions for persons living with HIV/AIDS: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Medical Reviews. 1 (2). Available at http://www.medicalreviews.info/index.php/jmr/article/view/8.
- Leveille E, Funk A, Inungu JN, Minelli M, Jahanfar S (2018) Correlates of Never Having Been Tested for HIV among American Indians/Alaskan Natives in the United States: Analysis of the National Health Interview Survey, 2015-2016. J AIDS Clin Res Sex Transm Dis 5: 020.
- Joseph N. Inungu, Nestor Ankiba, Mark Minelli, Vincent Mumford, Dido Bolekela, Bienvenu Mukoso, Willy Onema, Etienne Kouton, and Dolapo Raji
Use of Insecticide-Treated Mosquito Net among Pregnant Women and Guardians of Children under Five in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Volume 2017 (2017). Accessed on December 28, 2017 at https://www.hindawi.com/journals/mrt/2017/5923696/.
- Funk, A. N., Inungu, J. N., Leveille, E. R., and Minelli, M. (2018). Factors Associated with HIV-Testing among African Americans: Analysis of the 2016 National Health Interview Survey. European Journal of Environment and Public Health, 2(1), 03. https://doi.org/10.20897/ejeph/82621.
- Inungu JN, Tshiswaka DI, Papenfuse D (2017) Advances in HIV Prevention and Treatment: A Literature Review. Curr Res HIV 2017: CRHA-111. Accessed on December 28, 2017
- Inungu JN, Bender B, Gieber L (2017) Socio-Behavioral Challenges to HIV Vaccine Trials: Literature Review. Clin Res HIV/AIDS 4(1): 1034. Available at https://www.jscimedcentral.com/HIV-AIDS/HIV-AIDS-4-1034.pdf.
- Inungu J, Zinsou C. (2014) Evaluation of a social marketing intervention promoting the Use of Water-Treatment Product, Aquatab, in Benin, West Africa.
- Inungu J, Tou, Y. (2013). Factors associated with female genital mutilation in Burkina Faso. J Public health and Epidemiology 5(1), 20-28.
- Emina J, Kandala N, Inungu J and Ye Y (2011). Maternal Education and child nutritional status in the Democratic Republic of Congo. J Public health and Epidemiology 3, 576-592.
- Inungu J.; Mumford V.; Brookins-Fisher J.; MaloneBeach E.; Younis M.Z. (2009). HIV Testing Among Women in the United States. Public Administration & Management, 13 (3), 145-155.
- Angera J.J.; Brookins-Fisher J.; Inungu J.N. (2008). An Investigation of Parent/Child Communication about Sexuality. American Journal of Sexuality Education, 3 (2), 165 – 181.
- Djietror G., Inungu J. (2008). Spatial patterns and covariates of heart disease death rates in Michigan, 1998-2004. The Internet Journal of Health,8, Number 1.
- Dworkin MS, Buskin SE, Davidson AJ, Cohn DL, Morse A, Inungu J, Adams MR, McCombs SB, Jones JL, Moura H, Visvesvara G, Pieniazek NJ, Navin TR (2007). Prevalence of intestinal microsporidiosis in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-infected patients with diarrhea in major United States cities. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. Dec; 49(6):339-342.
- Inungu J. & Karl S. (2006). Understanding the Scourge of HIV in Sub-Sharan Africa. MedGenMed.8(4):30
- Wotring L., Montgomery J., Mokotoff E., Inungu J. et al. Pregnancy and other Factors Associated with Higher CD4+T cell counts at HIV Diagnosis in Southeast Michigan, 1992-1002. MedGenMed. 2005 Mar 15; 7(1):1.
- Inungu J, MaloneBeach E, Betts J. Male Circumcision in Africa and HIV Infection. AIDS Read. 2005; 15 (3): 130-131, 135, and 138.
- Inungu J, Quist-Adade C, MaloneBeach E, et al. Shift in the Reasons Adults Seek HIV Testing in the USA. AIDS Read. 2005; 15(1):35-38, 42.
- MaloneBeach E., Inungu J, Skeel R. African American Women: A legacy of Caregiving. Home Health Care Services Quarterly, 2004; 23:1-19.
- Ode, Joshua J.; Parr, Richard B. FACSM; Hornak, James E.; Inungu, J. (2004). The Long-Term Effects of Diet and Exercise on Body Composition in Overweight Subjects. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 36(5) Supplement:S140-S141
- Inungu J, MaloneBeach E., Skeel R. Challenges Facing Health Professionals Caring for HIV-infected Drug Users. AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 2003; 17(7): 333-43.
- Inungu J. Potential Barriers to Seeking HIV testing among Adults in the US. AIDS Patient Care & STDs. 2002; 16(6): 293-9.
- Inungu, J. Seroprevalence Approach to Fighting HIV/AIDS (SAFE): New Suggestions. American Public Health Association. 2002; 3: 92.
- Inungu J, Fox Melendez M, Pratt M. J. AIDS-related primary Lymphoma of the Brain Among HIV-Patients in Michigan. AIDS Patient Care & STDs. 2002; 16:1-6.
- Inungu J, Mokotoff E., Kent J. HIV Infection and Persons Age 50 and Older in Michigan. AIDS Patient Care & STDs. 2001; 15:567-573.
- Inungu J, Morse A., Gordon C. Risk factors, Seasonality and Trends of Cryptosporidiosis among HIV-Infected Patients in New Orleans. Am J Trop Med & Hygiene. 2000; 62:384-387.
- Dancescu P, Inungu J, Tuffuor E. An Indicator of the Participation of Children in Manual Labour. Tropical Doctor, 1999; 4:98.
- Inungu J, Morse A, Gordon C. Neurosyphilis among HIV-Infected Patients in New Orleans. Journal of Infectious Disease. 1998; 178:1229.
- Addy E., Inungu J., Mensah J. Prevalence of Smoking in Kumasi Metropolitan Area. Journal of the University of Science & Technology. 1996; 16: 73-76.
- Inungu, JN. Prevalence of Malnutrition among School Children in Ejisu-Juaben District, Ashanti Region in Ghana. Afr J Health Sci. 1995; 2:385-387.
Credentials, Certifications & Awards
- Executive Director and Founder of African Center for Research and Development (CARDE), Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Executive Director of the Congo Democratic Initiatives, a 501(c)(3) organization based in the USA
- DrPH, Tulane University, School of Public Health, New Orleans, LA, 1992
- MPH, Tulane University, School of Public Health New Orleans, LA, 1989
- Residency in Pediatrics, University of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, 1987
- MD, University of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, 1982
- Certificate in Immunology and Tropical Diseases, University Center for Social Sciences, University of Yaounde, Cameroon, 1985
- Prevention of infectious diseases: HIV, malaria, Ebola etc.
- Program monitoring and evaluation
- Health disparities
Membership in Professional Organizations
- American Public Health Association (Epidemiology, HIV/AIDS sections)
- American Geriatric Association
- Global Public Health: HIV
- International AIDS Society
- HSC 211: Anatomy
- HSC 317: Environmental Health
- HSC 411: Pathophysiology
- HSC 544: Introduction to Biostatistics
- MPH 640: Biostatistics
- MPH 644: Rural Health
- MPH 646: Epidemiology
- MPH 655: Program Planning and Evaluation
- MPH 670: Research Methods
- MPH 796: Integrative Learning Experiences