Professor of English
Publications & Presentations
- The Life and Times of William Shakespeare. Co-author with Ari D. Berk, Templar Publishing, 2010.
- Masques of Difference: Four Court Masques by Ben Jonson (edited texts). Student Revels Editions, gen. ed. David Bevington, Manchester University Press, 2007.
- Staff Book Reviewer,
Historical Novels Review, 2016-present
- “Busking for the Queen of Faerie: Elizabethan Playwrights in Contemporary Fantasy Fiction.”
Selected Papers of the Ohio Shakespeare Valley Conference VII (2016).
- “Carnivale on Shakespeare’s Stage.” Mythic Passages, February, 2007.
- “The State He Should Envy” (short story) and “Hermione in Prison” (poem). Contexts: A Creative Journal. Toledo: Mercy College of Northwest Ohio (Fall 2006): 38-43.
- “Jonson’s Gossips and the Stuart Family Drama,” Early Theatre 9.1 (2006): 61-83.
- “Playing Fairy: Puck and Pan Onstage,” Realms of Fantasy (April 2006): 22-31. Reprinted, The Endicott Journal of Mythic Arts (online journal), ed. Terri Windling,
- Theatrical review: “Sejanus and Sir Thomas More in the RSC 2005 Gunpowder Season,” Theatre Journal 58.1 (2006): 127-31.
- “Angels and Ministers of Grace: Theatrical Superstitions,”
Realms of Fantasy (April 2005): 14-21. Reprinted, The Endicott Journal of Mythic Arts (online journal), ed. Terri Windling, Winter 2005,
- “Shakespeare and the English Holiday Calendar,” Realms of Fantasy (August 2003): 16-26. Reprinted, The Endicott Journal of Mythic Arts (online journal), ed. Terri Windling, Summer 2003,
- “’To blanch an Ethiop’: Jonson’s Masque of Blackness and Multicultural Approaches to Early Modern Literature.” Language Arts Journal of Michigan 18.1 (2002): 18-24.
- Theatrical review: “The Tempest at the New Globe, Summer 2000 Season,” Theatre Journal 52 (2000): 553-54.
- “Staging the Classroom,” Shakespeare 2 (1998): 5-6.
- “’He may be our father, perhaps’: Paternity, Puppets, Boys and Bartholomew Fair,” in Critical Essays on Ben Jonson, ed. Robert N. Watson (New York: G.K. Hall, 1997): 60-81.
- “Versions of Femininity in Bartholomew Fair,” Renaissance Papers (1993): 91-115.
Talks and Presentations
- Moderator, Panel Discussion -- “Shakespeare, Music, and Collaboration,” A Shakespeare Cabaret, CMU School of Music
- Imagining the Fantastic, Central Michigan University. Introduction/Panel Moderator: “Music of the Fantastic,” 11-12 April 2014
- Shakespeare Workshop for The Help Group, Los Angeles, CA March 2013
- Imagining the Fantastic, Central Michigan University. Introduction/Panel Moderator: “Shakespeare and The Sandman: The Art of Charles Vess,” 15-16 April 2011
- Podcast: "Exploring Beyond the Borders: Breaking the Conventions of Genre in Science Fiction,
- Fantasy, and Horror," Interstitial Arts Foundation August 2012
- “‘I’ld cry, a rape!’: The Ingle as Critic, ” Shakespeare Association of America; Chicago, IL. April 2010
- “Legitimizing Sodomy in Jonson’s Masque of Gypsies.” Criminality, Liminality, and Imprisonment in the Early Modern Era; Michigan State University, October 24 -25, 2008
- "‘Milk and blood, dew and flood’: Female Sexuality, Food, and Folklore in Jonson” Renaissance Society of America, Chicago, IL, April 2008.
- Panel leader, “Transgression,” Mythic Journeys 2006, Atlanta, GA, June 2006.
- Panel leader, “Second Skins: Costume and the Mythic Imagination,” Mythic Journeys 2006, Atlanta, GA.
- Panel participant, “Stories for a Thousand Years,” Mythic Journeys 2006, Atlanta, GA.
- “Giving them the Willies: The Bard-Haunted Classroom,” MMLA, Chicago, November 2003.
- “‘A spectacle of strangeness’: Folk Sources for Jonson's Masque of Queens” Renaissance Society of America, Toronto, Ont., March 2003
- “Illyria: The Musical: Adapting Twelfth Night for the Georgia Shakespeare Festival,” Seminar Paper for “Shakespeare and Musical Theater,” Shakespeare Association of America; Montreal, Quebec, April 2000.
- “Teaching The Masque of Blackness at Spelman College,” The Southern California Renaissance Conference Fall/Winter Symposium, U.C. Long Beach, February 1998.
- “Teaching With Technology,” Workshop Participant, Shakespeare Association of America, Cleveland, OH, March 1998.
- “Teaching Shakespeare to the Class of 2000,” Workshop Participant, Shakespeare Association of America, Washington, DC, March 1997.
- “Being C.R.A.S.S. in the Classroom” (group presentation), NCTE International Conference on Teaching Shakespeare in Performance, Louisville, KY, March 1996.
- “Investigating the Catch in Twelfth Night,” The Center for Renaissance and Shakespearean Staging, 1995 Conference, Harrisonburg, VA, Summer 1995.
- Editor (with Ari Berk), Folkroots column, Realms of Fantasy Magazine 2008-2010
- Secretary, Execuitve Board, Interstitial Arts Foundation 2006-2008
- UCLA, Ph.D., English; Dissertation: “Locating Jonson in Bartholomew Fair.” Director, Robert N. Watson
- UCLA, M.A., English
- Furman University, B.A., English/Drama, magna cum laude
- Ben Jonson
- the Jacobean Masque
- Music in Renaissance/Jacobean Drama
- Images of the body in Renaissance literature
- Theater history and Jacobean comedy
- Theories of comedy in theatrical literature
Membership in Professional Organizations
Shakespeare Association of America
- ENG 101 - Freshman Composition
- ENG 201 - Advanced Composition
- ENG 134 - Intro to Literature
- ENG 143 - Laughing Matters: Comedy & Satire
- ENG 234 - Intro to Literary Analysis
- ENG 235 - English Lit, Beginnings to 1800
- ENG 326 - Neverending Stories: Adaptation Across Media
- ENG 335 - Topics in Ancient & Medieval Lit
- ENG 336 - Topics in Early Modern and 18th C. Lit
- ENG 349 - Shakespeare
- ENG 435 - Studies in Texts: Senior Seminar
- ENG 545 - Chaucer
- ENG 547 - Seminar in Major British Writers
- ENG 549 - Advanced Shakespeare