Professor and Chairperson
Mark E. Lehman, Ph.D., CCC-SLP has been a professor at Central Michigan University for 31 years. He teaches in the areas of descriptive phonetics, speech science, and research methods. His areas of clinical interest include voice and phonological disorders, particularly the application of technology to provide biofeedback to improve speech production. His current research is in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
More about Mark Lehman
Publications & Presentations
- Affoo, RH., Bruner, JL., Dietsch, AM., Nellenbach, CE., Jones, TM., and Lehman, ME. (2020) "The Impact of Active Learning in a Speech-Language Pathology Swallowing and Dysphagia Course," Teaching and Learning in Communication Sciences & Disorders: Vol. 4 : Iss. 2 , Article 4.
- Nelson, MD., Mann, L., Trenkler, C., Lehman, ME. (2019). Static Positional Nystagmus in the Healthy Vestibular System. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 30, 883-895.
- Xi, J., Si, X, Peters, S, Nevorski, D, Wen, T, & Lehman, M. (2017) Understanding the mechanisms underlying pulsating aerosol delivery to the maxillary sinus: In vitro tests and computational simulations. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 520, 254-266.
- Nelson, MD., Bennett, D., Lehman, M., “Dizziness, Hearing Loss and Falls in Adults Living with Sickle Cell Disease”. Poster presentation at the Sickle Cell In Focus Conference (SCiF)/National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, October, 2018.
- Nelson, MD, Bennett, D. and Lehman, ME. “Hearing Loss and Balance Disorders in Adults Living with Sickle Cell Disease”. Presentation at the National Sickle Cell Disease Association of America Conference, Atlanta, GA, October 2017.
- DeMarco, Woodke, and Lehman (2017) “Training Word Level Stress Perception Using Non-Speech Stimuli.” Paper presented at the annual convention of the Michigan Speech-Language & Hearing Association, Troy, MI.
- Yahrmatter, S., Stewart, M, Lehman, ME., and Meinke, DK., Comparative preferences of recreational shooters between passive and electronic hearing protection devices. Accepted for presentation at the National Hearing Association Annual Convention, San Antonio, Texas, February, 2017.
- Krupp, D., Nelson, D., Scott-Emuakpor, A., and Lehman, M. (2015) “A Survey of Dizziness/Imbalance and Hearing Loss in Adults Living with Sickle Cell Disease” Poster presented at the annual convention of the American Academy of Audiology, Phoenix, AZ. This poster was a finalist for the James and Susan Jerger Excellence in Student Research Award.
- Nelson, D., Heilig, R., Koning, K., Pastorelli, C., and Lehman, M. (2015) “Effects of Caloric Stimulation on the Sensory Organization Test in Adults with Vestibular Symptoms” Poster presented at the annual convention of the American Academy of Audiology, Phoenix, AZ. This poster won "Best in Vestibular."
- Lehman, ME., Ponik, A., & Irwin, K. (2015) “Relationship between phonemic awareness and phonetic transcription skills for students in a descriptive phonetics course” Paper presented at the annual convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Denver, CO.
- Squires, K. (Presenter & Author), MacPherson, C. (Presenter & Author), Ratcliff, AE., Lehman, ME. (Author Only), Long, J., & Gallagher, C. (2015), "Multi-tier instruction approach for preschoolers at risk for language and literacy impairments: A feasiblity study." Paper presented at the annual convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Denver, CO.
- Tyree, A., Douglas, NF., Woods, S., Lehman, M., American Speech Language Hearing Association, "A qualitative study of a support group for individuals and families living with stuttering" (November 2015).
- Gravelin, A. and Lehman, M. (2015) Using Electropalatography to Improve Students’ Understanding of Tongue-Palate Contact during Speech. Paper presented at the annual convention of the Michigan Speech-Language & Hearing Association, Lansing, MI.
- Smith, J. and Lehman, M. (2015) Voice disorder secondary to relapsing polychondritis: a case study. Paper presented at the annual convention of the Michigan Speech-Language & Hearing Association, Lansing, MI.
Credentials, Certifications & Awards
- Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech Language Pathology (CCC-SLP)
- PhD, Speech-Language Pathology, University of Michigan, 1988
- MA, Speech-Language Pathology, University of Michigan, 1981
- BA, Linguistics, University of Michigan, 1979
Membership in Professional Organizations
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Michigan Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Michigan Education Association
- National Education Association
Current Licenses/Certifications Held
- Holder, Speech-Language Pathology, State of Michigan
- CSD 278: Normal Speech Developmental/Descriptive Phonetics
- CSD 463: Introduction to Acoustic Phonetics