More About THOMAS GILSDORF
Publications & Presentations
- Thomas E. Gilsdorf; Valdivia’s lifting theorem for non-metrizable spaces. Topology and its Applications, vol. 317, (2022), Paper No. 108160.
- Thomas E. Gilsdorf; Inductive limits of quasi-locally Baire spaces. Asian-European Journal of Mathematics, vol. 15, no. 4, (2022), Paper No. 2250074.
- Rigoberto Vera, Carlos Bosch, César García, Thomas E. Gilsdorf, Claudia Gómez; Eventually constant intertwining linear maps between complete locally convex spaces. Italian Journal of Mathematics, vol. 46, (2021), 147–163.
- Rigoberto Vera, Carlos Bosch, César García, Thomas E. Gilsdorf, Claudia Gómez; On Docile Spaces, Mackey First Countable Spaces, and Sequentially Mackey First Countable Spaces. International Journal of Mathematical Analysis, vol. 11, no. 8, (2017), 377 - 388.
- Rigoberto Vera, Carlos Bosch, César García, Thomas E. Gilsdorf, Claudia Gómez; Fixed points of set-valued maps in locally complete spaces. Fixed Point Theory and Applications 2017: no. 13 (electronic), (2017), 11 pages.
- Thomas E. Gilsdorf; Hñähñu (Otomi) mathematics revisited. Journal of Mathematics and Culture, 10, no. 2, (2016), 73 - 85.
- Thomas E. Gilsdorf; Gender, culture, and ethnomathematics. In Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Mathematics Education and Society (MES-8), Swapna Mukhopadhyay, Brian Greer, Eds., (2015), p. 531-542.
- Thomas E. Gilsdorf; Otomi and Mazahua textile art as a feminine expression of mathematics (Arte textil Otomí y Mazahua como expresión femenina de matemáticas). Estudios de Cultura Otopame; Institute of Anthropology, National
University of Mexico (UNAM), (2015).
- Thomas E. Gilsdorf, Mohammad Khavanin; Existence and uniqueness results for nonlinear integro - differential equations in real locally complete spaces. Sci. Math. Japonica, 76, no. 3, (2013), 395-400.
- Carlos Bosch, Thomas E. Gilsdorf, Claudia Gómez; Mackey first countability and docile spaces; Acta Math. Sinica, 47, no. 4, (2011), p. 737 - 740.
- Thomas E. Gilsdorf; Mathematics of the Hñähñu: the Otomies; Journal of Mathematics and Culture, 4, no. 1, (2009), p. 84 - 105.
- Thomas E. Gilsdorf; Locally convex spaces and some results of George Mackey (1916 - 2006). (in Spanish); Miscelánea Mat., 47, (2008), p. 39 - 53.
- Thomas E. Gilsdorf; Ethnomathematics of the Otomies. (in Spanish); Estudios de Cultura Otopame; Institute of Anthropology, National University of Mexico (UNAM), 6, (2008), p. 167-181.
- Thomas E. Gilsdorf; Ethnomathematics of the Inkas. In The Encyclopedia of the History of Science, Technology, and Medicine in Non-Western Cultures, Second Edition (electronic) , H. Selin, Ed., Springer-Verlag, (2008); updated (2014).
- Thomas E. Gilsdorf; Strictly webbed convenient locally convex spaces. International Journal of Mathematical Analysis, 1, no. 16, (2007), p. 775-782.
Selected recent presentations:
- Finding common threads between mathematics and female gender roles in Inca culture; presented at the Rocky Mountain Council for Latin American Studies, Santa Fe, NM, April, 2019.
- Absorbing mathematics through culture; presented at the Ethnomathematics in the Classroom Workshop, Bemidji State University & Red Lake Nation, Bemidji, MN, March, 2019.
- Teaching ethnomathematics courses to a variety of audiences; presented at the Joint Meetings of the American Mathematical Society and the Mathematical Association of America, Baltimore, MD, January, 2019.
- Women and ethnomathematics: Aspects of gender; presented at the Joint Meetings of the AMS and MAA, San Antonio, TX, January, 2015.
- Discovering cultural mathematics (Encontrando matemáticas culturales); presented at the Mathematics (Student) Seminar, La Universidad Autónoma del Estado de Hidalgo, Hidalgo, Mexico, March, 2014.
- Existence of unique solutions to integro-differential equations in locally complete spaces; presented at the tenth annual conference on Analysis and Mathematical Physics, La Universidad Autónoma del Estado de Hidalgo, Hidalgo, Mexico, Jan., 2014.
- Finding mathematics in culture (Encontrando matemáticas en la cultura); presented at the Education Seminar, the National Pedagogical University, Mexico City, Mexico, Nov. 2013.
- Otomi and Mazahua textile art as a feminine expression of mathematics (Arte textil Otomí y Mazahua como expresión femenina de matemáticas); presented at the XIV Coloquio Internacional sobre los Otopames, San
Felipe del Progreso, México, Nov., 2013.
- Perspectives of mathematics and art from traditional Mexican artists; presented at the: Regional National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), Chicago, Nov., 2012.
- Tham Larutluc- How Cultural Influences Affect Mathematics; presented at the International Congress of Ethnomathematics IV, Towson MD, July, 2010.
- Mathematics of Latin America and its use in the classroom; presented at the regional National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), Minneapolis, Nov. 2009.
- Women and Mathematics in Indigenous Cultures; presented at the Dreamcatcher 2009 Conference, Winnipeg, May, 2009.
- The ethnomathematics of weaving; presented at the MAA Session on Ethnomathematics and its use in Teaching, Joint AMS-MAA Meetings, San Diego, Jan., 2008.
- Ethnomathematics; Presented at the North Dakota Indian Education Association annual conference, Ft. Yates, Oct., 2007.
- Ethnomathematics: Math in a Cultural Context; presented at the United Tribes Technical College, Bismarck, August, 2007.
- Ethnomathematics of the Mazahua and Otomíes (in Spanish); presented at the Institute for Anthropological Studies, National University of Mexico (UNAM), Mexico City, May, 2007.
- Homage to George Mackey: 1916 - 2006 (in Spanish); presented at the University of the State of Hidalgo, Mexico, April, 2007.
- Ethnomathematics; presented at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Feb., 2007.
- A characterization of convenient locally convex spaces; presented at the Sixth Annual Conference on Analysis and Mathematical Physics, University of the State of Hidalgo, Mexico, Jan., 2007.
Credentials, Certifications & Awards
Selected Recent Awards and Honors, Special Presentations
- Plenary Address: Mathematics of Culture and Cultural Mathematics; Presented (in Spanish) at the First International Meeting of Ethnomathematics of Latin America (ELEM1), Sololá, Guatemala, June, 2016.
- Division of Mathematics and Actuarial Sciences Teaching Award, Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), Mexico City, Mexico, December, 2014.
- Fulbright Scholarship; at the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), Mexico City, Mexico, August 2006 - June, 2007.
- Postdoctoral Scholarship: Solomon Lefschetz Postdoctoral Research Scholarship; at the Center for Research and Advanced Studies (CINVESTAV), Mexico City, Mexico, August 1992 - August 1993
- Ph.D., Mathematics, 1988, Washington State University
- M.S., Mathematics: Computer Science, 1984, Mankato State University
- B.A., Mathematics, 1981, University of Minnesota
- Locally Convex Spaces
- Cultural Mathematics (Ethnomathematics)
- Functional Analysis