Knowing the answer will take you far. Knowing how to reach an answer will take you further, especially with employers. Get your certificate in critical reasoning and learn to analyze information, communicate your point of view and lead with confidence, knowing you've got the answer.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
A national survey found that the vast majority of employers prioritize critical thinking and communication skills in evaluating job candidates. With a certificate in critical reasoning, you’ll be the perfect candidate for just about any career.
You’ll expand your reasoning skills with courses like Decision Theory, Philosophy of Science, and Symbolic Logic. You’ll explore the tools of fundamental logic and probability theory. And you’ll learn how to think more clearly and carefully about every issue — in your personal life as well as in your career.
The 12-credit-hour certificate is open to students in any major and to students not seeking degrees who want to enhance their critical reasoning skills.
As a critical reasoning student at CMU, you’ll:
- Bust myths with the best of them by studying Logical Problem Solving and Decision Theory.
- Rethink what you think you know in the comfort of small classes where your voice will be heard.
- Learn to think clearly and tackle real-world problems — like predicting disease spread and risk — in courses such as Introduction to Logical Problem Solving and Chances, Choices, and Everyday Reasoning.
- Exercise your brain in philosophical discussions with award-winning faculty and scholars as a member of our Student Philosophers group.
- Build skills to set the leadership standard in your professional and personal life.
Careers & Outcomes
A certificate in critical reasoning builds the skills that today’s employers are seeking, including creative problem solving, critical thinking and effective communication. You’ll be ready to succeed in any field, including law, business, health care, writing, administration and teaching.
|Business Intelligence Analyst||$100,910|
|Director of Government Affairs||$74,216|