Discover the fascinating world of human behavior. Psychology offers valuable insights into why people do what they do — and helps you understand your own motivations, too. You’ll work with world-class faculty in our research labs and focus your studies on the areas of psychology that captivate you.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
Psychology opens a window to the motivations that drive human behavior. You’ll better understand not only your own actions, but those of the people around you and how their actions affect you. You’ll build fundamental skills that will enhance your life, both personally and professionally.
Choose a BA or BS, or pair your BS with an MS in experimental psychology and earn two degrees in five years. Our undergraduate program also offers concentrations in business psychology or mental health.
Whichever program you choose, you’ll work closely with internationally recognized faculty. You’ll also have the chance to conduct hands-on research in one of our five labs that focus on everything from child behavior to Alzheimer’s disease.
As a psychology student at CMU, you can:
- Uncover insights into human development, mental health, behavior analysis and other psychological areas.
- Gain hands-on research experience in one of our cutting-edge labs, including the Center for Children, Families, and Communities, the Eye Tracking Lab, and the Mr. Science Child Interviewing Laboratory.
- Join one of our student organizations, including Psi Chi, the national honor society, the Association for Psychological Science Student Caucus, and the Multicultural Psychology Student Society.
- Choose courses in behavior analysis, clinical interviewing, health psychology, psychology and law, psychological testing, sports psychology, and studies in personality.
- Earn both a bachelor’s and a master’s in just five years if you are accepted to our Accelerated Experimental program.
Careers & Outcomes
Our psychology graduates can apply their knowledge in almost any field. Many go on to careers as behavioral analysts, or apply their skills in human resources or social services.