Experimental psychologists use scientific and empirical approaches to explore the connections between human behavior and the mind. You'll study issues across the lifespan, from how infants learn to untangling the complexities of neurodegenerative diseases.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
Explore the important questions at the heart of human behavior. Our experimental psychology program prepares you to make valuable contributions to research and scholarship in the field.
You’ll collaborate with accomplished faculty mentors who have published widely and won grants for their research. Our students are working side by side with faculty researchers who are:
- Developing new mouse models to further Alzheimer’s research.
- Leading training programs to address a critical shortage of autism analysts in the state.
In our research centers and labs you can dive deep into issues related to neuroscience, behavior analysis, learning and aging. An accelerated program allows you to complete both a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in just five years.
Our students go on to some of the top doctoral programs in the country or straight into careers in research laboratories.
As an experimental psychology student at CMU, you'll:
- Explore your own research ideas with faculty guidance.
- Work in labs with state-of-the-art research equipment.
- Attend cutting-edge research seminars.
- Prepare for a career with graduate and research assistantships and fellowships.
Careers & Outcomes
Our graduate students go on to top doctoral programs and research careers in universities, government institutions and the private sector.