Use your time at Central Michigan University to create a career plan through SELF-exploration, exploring academic and career OPTIONS, and taking ACTION to launch your career goals. Engage in activities (like the ones listed below) throughout your time at CMU to become more well-rounded and to find a career path that is meaningful to you.
Learn about your skills, interests, and values and how they influence your career choices.
- Take a career assessment to identify your interests, skills and personality.
- Meet with a career coach to talk about your thoughts and learn about additional resources.
Explore academic and career paths.
- Join Registered Student Organizations or find a volunteer opportunity - these can be related to your intended major/career (or not) and are a great way to explore your interests and make connections.
- Explore industries using tools like Candid Career.
- Research the job market by using tools like Career Insight, O*NET, and the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Learn how to apply your major to a variety of career fields.
- Consider Study Abroad opportunities to immerse yourself in another culture.
- Use Central Connections to conduct informational interviews to learn more about your field and make connections with professionals.
Take the first steps toward launching your career.
- Create or update a professional resume and cover letter.
- Schedule a mock interview to practice your interviewing skills.
- Create a LinkedIn profile and connect with professionals.
- Prepare for and take any required tests for graduate or professional school (i.e., GRE, MCAT, LSAT, GMAT, etc.).
- Seek leadership roles in student organizations, part-time jobs, etc.
- Develop a search strategy and timeline.
- Attend career fairs and networking events to find jobs and internships.
- Apply for jobs and internships on Handshake or apply to graduate school.